Okay, first things first: I’m a lot less cranky than I was last week, and would like to thank anyone who read last week’s post for putting up with me. 🙂
Second things second: we are continuing to experience an uncharacteristic heat wave in Nova Scotia, with the humidity on this particular day currently at 82%. So what I’m basically saying is, don’t expect too much in the way of overwhelming productivity, especially if the task would involve a lot of movement.
Thirdly, my brain has been a little scattered lately, partially because of a stressful situation that I still find myself trapped in, but also because of the aforementioned heat wave, which feels like it’s frying those lovely squishy bits beneath my skull. I know that Nova Scotia is not nearly as hot right now as some other places in the world that are also experiencing heat waves, but remember that it’s all about perspective. What we’ve got right now is much hotter and more humid than anything I can ever remember experiencing personally, and whereas Nova Scotia weather is generally fairly bouncy (hot one day, cool the next), this wave has been going on for a few weeks now with only a day or two of (somewhat) respite. So yeah, I’m pretty much ready to become a nudist and start living underground where the heavy, moist air of the surface can’t get me.
Anyway, with that all out of the way, let’s jump into this:
Plan #1: Focus more on Writing.
I did try, I really did! My efforts just weren’t particularly fruitful, is all.
- Goal #1: Write half a million words throughout the year. I’m not going to waste time mincing words on this one. I did poorly. I wrote 1916 blog words and 333 fiction words, for a weekly total of 2249. That brings the yearly total (slightly) up to 117159 and my daily average down a little further to 577. I really want to see that average go up, you guys. It’s driving me foolish, it really is.
- Goal #2: Sell more books. I’m starting to genuinely hate having this goal on the list, because I really don’t know what else I can do to try to accomplish it. I’ve been sharing my books on the author social media accounts as often as I feel I can without just annoying people, I’ve been pimping them here and there at local stuff, and I’ve been encouraging people to rate and review, but none of that really seems to be helpful in the slightest. It all comes down to the fact that I’m not advertising, I feel, and this is something I simply can not do right now, unless someone wants to give me some free ad space somewhere.
- Goal #3: Complete and publish The Other World: Book Two. Okay, here’s something I can be a bit less of a downer about. I actually did get some work done on this one in the past week, getting a few chapters edited and ready for the beta-reader copy. I got hung up a few times on possible plot holes and stuff like that, but in the end, I did get a fairly decent amount of work done, and it’s moving forward nicely. I expect to have the beta-reader copy ready pretty soon now.
Plan #2: Focus more on YouTube.
There was focus! Genuine focus! Well…at least for a couple of days. 😛
- Goal #1: Film more often. We filmed four videos! And we filmed them all in one night! I was so proud, seriously, you have no idea. We then edited those videos and got them uploaded over the following two days, so that we got a nice chunk of content up on the channel all at once. The unfortunate side of this is that we filmed those four videos all at once, at night, in the cool basement, on a day when the heat wasn’t too bad, and we were both STILL sweating all throughout the filming. In other words, I don’t know how much else we’re going to get done any time soon, because it seems basically impossible to sit in front of those lights during this heat wave and not look like a shiny, wet, disgusting blob.
But four videos! Yay!
- Goal #2: Put more focus into, and have more fun with, the social media aspect. I think I’ve been doing okay with this one, although I have to admit that I really haven’t been thinking about it all that much. Twitter has simply become a routine thing that I use throughout the day, and since we actually filmed some videos last week I had easy stuff to share on Instagram. The author accounts may have suffered a little in the past week because I was distracted by channel stuff, but that’s a balance that I’m probably going to struggle with for quite a while, so I’m not going to beat myself up too much.
#3: Focus more on myself.
I’ve been trying to put more focus onto this one lately because my mental state hasn’t really been the greatest for the past month or so.
- Goal #1: Take time daily to read/watch/play. I’ve definitely been reading. I managed to finish The Lunar Chronicles: Winter last week and wrote a review on it, so that was excellent. I’ve also been playing dumb phone games with the kid, because screw it, they’re brain-dead and help me relax. Jason and I have also been re-watching Dragonball Z, which is a show that just makes me happy, so that’s been good. So basically I’ve got the “read/watch/play” thing pretty much covered.
- Goal #2: Stay active, but don’t obsess. Reminder: heat wave. I haven’t been doing any kind of unnecessary movement at all. I definitely want to get back into my running, but I just can’t right now. I’m sweating to the point of dehydration just laying in bed at night, so there’s no way that I can go running and not risk passing the hell out. So, at least for now, this one is a wash.
Overall I don’t think it was the greatest week, but I’m not worrying too much about it. We got a good bit of channel work done, and I didn’t die of heat stroke yet, so I’m calling that a win. Also, as of the writing of this post I’ve already exceeded my word count from last week, so at least I’ll have that to report for next week. Little victories!
How was your week? Were you able to accomplish anything? Do anything fun? Make any progress toward your own goals? Feel free to share!