Week 37 was an epic pain in the ass in a number of ways, so before we get into it please allow me a moment of venting.
Firstly, I had to do four full days of safety training courses last week, from Tuesday through Friday. These courses are required for a possible job that I’m trying to get, and they were paid for by the union, so that wasn’t all that big a deal. What was annoying was that the courses are only offered in the city, two hours away from where I live, so I had the choice of spending four hours per day traveling, or just just staying down there until I was done. I intended to stay a night, come home a night, stay a night, and then come home, but that got mangled when I got up early Tuesday morning to head out and found that the car battery was dead.
This wasn’t an instant emergency since we have two cars, but it meant that I had to take off in the good car, leaving Jason to have to walk Adrianna to and from school and Tae Kwon Do. It should have only been a one-day thing, since I could get someone from Toyota to come jump the dead car for us, but of course it got complicated. First I realized mid-way through my first course that I’d taken the only key we have for that car to the city with me, so I had to drive all the way back home that night to give it back to Jason. Then, when I called Toyota the next day it was to find out that the guy they have who usually does the call-out stuff like jumps is on vacation.
We basically just decided to give up at that point; Jason said he’d deal with all the walking for a few days and we’d figure out the car when I was back home again.
So I spent those four days in full-day courses, which weren’t horrible or anything, but anyone who has taken these kinds of courses knows that they’re exhausting in a sit-and-stare-at-slides-for-8-hours kind of way. I survived, while spending way too much money on fast food because it was the only real option, and finally came home for the weekend…
We went to see The Predator Saturday night, which was definitely the highlight of the week. I’ll take this moment to note that if you weren’t able to turn your brain off and just enjoy the loud, explode-y fun of that movie, I genuinely feel sorry for you. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Was is stupid at points? Totally. But it had Predators. And Predator dogs. And lots of destruction. Loved it.
Yet I’m still in a frustrated mood. Why? Because of dentists, basically. Jason has a broken tooth. It’s been broken for years, but whatever happened recently it started bothering him really badly, and has gotten to the point that he can’t sleep at night for the throbbing. Long story short? We have no dental plan, and I’m not working yet. And dentists, as you may know, cost a bloody fortune. So yeah, as I speak we’re waiting to head out to an appointment to find out what can be done, as well as find out how badly we’re going to take it in the ass for the privilege.
So, okay. There we go. I think I got all my whining out, so let’s go ahead and get into the actual point of this post.
Plan #1: Focus more on Writing.
It’s probably a given that with all that driving and course-taking I didn’t get a whole lot of time to focus on writing last week. But it’s not all bad, I promise!
- Goal #1: Write half a million words throughout the year. Somehow, mainly by scribbling in a notebook throughout the week and then having a 4-hour session on my laptop last night, I actually did manage a fairly decent word count for the week. It’s not nearly where I would have liked it to be, but it’s still absolutely respectable considering what kind of a week I had. I only wrote one blog post, which was 1022 words, but I managed to still kick a bit of ass as far as fiction goes, with 6959 words. That gives me a week’s total of 7981, which I’m totally happy with given how the week went. Last week’s numbers bring my year’s total up to 170,108, and the daily average still managed to sneak up a little to 657.
- Goal #2: Sell more books. I just flat-out refuse to talk about this one this week. It’s too much of a sore-spot at the moment. Go buy some books, people!
- Goal #3: Complete and publish The Other World: Book Two. Woo! Progress! That four-hour marathon on my laptop that I mentioned? It was spent working on this goal, and involved a lot of rewriting, adding to scenes, and fixing stuff up in general. The result is that I now only have 1.5 chapters left to deal with before I can ship the manuscript off to my beta-readers. WOO!!
Plan #2: Focus more on YouTube.
*cough cough* Uh, okay, this is where the post goes back downhill a bit.
- Goal #1: Film more often. We did film one video last week, but it hasn’t been posted yet. What it all comes down to is that I spent too much time away from home, and Jason had no time between having to walk everywhere and not getting any sleep because of his tooth. Everything has pretty much just ground to a halt at the moment. Hopefully Jason will be able to get his tooth fixed soon, because while I can do a few vids on my own, most of what we’ve got in our backlog right now is stuff we need to do together.
- Goal #2: Put more focus into, and have more fun with, the social media aspect. Social stuff continues to move forward more-or-less well. I may have slacked off a bit last week because of the course stuff, but I still think I’m fairly on board as far as keeping Twitter and Instagram lit up.
#3: Focus more on myself.
Me! Mee! MEEEE!!!!
- Goal #1: Take time daily to read/watch/play. I managed to squeak in some reading time last week, during break and lunchtimes while at my courses mostly. I finished Stardust, for which I’ll be writing a review at some point, and I dove headfirst into Hunting Prince Dracula, which I’d been waiting for to show up in paperback and recently picked up. Aside from that I mostly just watched whatever I could find to throw on while going to bed all week, but as I mentioned we DID go see The Predator, which I thoroughly enjoyed. And I also managed to pick up a few minutes here and there to play Dead Nation on my Vita, which is just one of those games I end up playing again every year around this time for some reason. So, hey, I guess I actually managed to pick up a decent bit of “me time” last week. Go me.
- Goal #2: Stay active, but don’t obsess. Oh man, I was the exact opposite of active last week! Mind you that’s mostly because I was trapped in a classroom for 4 straight days, but still. I feel like I’ve fallen into a rut in which I’ve been inactive for so long that I can’t seem to drag myself up and get myself moving any more. But something has to change soon, because I’m starting to gain back some of the weight I lost during Keto, and I absolutely refuse to accept that.
So, in conclusion, I had a really annoying, frustrating week, but also managed to get a decent bit of writing in, as well as some relaxing reading as well. I’m still a massive ball of stress, but knowing that I did manage to get something accomplished last week helps a bit. Here’s hoping that week 38 will be a little calmer!
How was your week? Were you able to accomplish anything? Do anything fun? Make any progress toward your own goals? Feel free to share!