Wait, who? What? Where? When? What day is it? What week is it? What YEAR is it?!
Seriously though, did someone place some kind of curse on me? Or did I get abducted by aliens or something? Because it feels as though I’ve lost massive amounts of time somewhere. I genuinely have no idea when it somehow became a new week. It’s not as though I was busier than usual, or that anything particularly time-consuming came up throughout the week. Maybe the transition into winter-esque weather is getting to me.
Anyway, I’m sure you can probably see where this is going. Week 43 pulled the rug out from under me, and without even thinking ahead to the rest of this post I can pretty much tell you that production was at a low.
So I’m going to sit here, take a gulp of water followed by a swig of black coffee, and see if I can’t make some sense out of just what exactly happened in the past seven days.
Plan #1: Focus more on Writing.
My intention, during week 43, was to put most of my attention into this particular plan. How did that go? Uh…well..
- Goal #1: Write half a million words throughout the year. *looks at word count for the week* Wait, what? Really? Dammit, how did that happen?
My intention, after handing the manuscript I’d been working on over to my beta-readers, was to take the newfound open time to just write whatever I felt like writing at the time. In a sense, I did do that, scribbling a few words here toward The Other World Book Three, a few words there for a random ghost story idea that popped into my head… And yet somehow I find that my word count for the week is actually rather pathetic. It’s still not the worst I’ve ever done, but dammit…I could have sworn I wrote more than that. That’s what I get for writing free-hand, I guess. It’s sooooo much slower than plucking away at a computer, and yet also far more satisfying, so…yeah. Choices obviously need to be made.
With all that mumbling to myself out of the way, here are the facts. I wrote 1894 words toward blog posts, and 1243 words toward fiction in week 43. That gives me a week’s total of 3137, which is quite a bit less than last week, but also more than the previous week, so at least I have that going for me.
With those words my year’s total goes up a bit to 212,960, and my daily average goes down a bit, but still manages to stay above the closest hundred mark, with 708.
- Goal #2: Sell more books. One paperback and a full book’s worth of page reads on Kindle Unlimited. It’s pathetic, but at least it’s something. There’s nothing worse than logging into my reports and seeing blank charts, so whoever you are who has been reading something of mine on KU: thank you!
I’ve also gotten a bit of free publicity recently in the form of some lovely fellow YouTubers talking a bit about my books and how they’re planning to read them soon, so that’s quite nice! It hasn’t really translated into sales, but it’s still extremely nice regardless. Nothing makes me smile quite like someone shoving one of my books at a screen and demanding that other people read it. 🙂
- Goal #3: Complete and publish The Other World: Book Two. There’s obviously not much to say here since, as previously mentioned, the manuscript is currently with my beta-readers. There’s not really anything I can do to move further until they’ve returned their notes to me. That said, one thing that I do need to do is commission the cover art which, I hate to admit, I’m having a hard time convincing myself to do since I don’t currently have the funds necessary.
And now seems like an excellent time to point out the “Buy Me a Coffee” button on the sidebar to the right of your screen. I recently created an account for the service with the hopes of raising the money required to commission the aforementioned cover art. And hey, donating the minimum of $3 also gets you access to a couple of short-short stories that I wrote for a contest a while back, so there’s also that! So if you’d like to check those out and also support a starving author, give that button a little click. You know you want to. 🙂
Plan #2: Focus more on YouTube.
I know I’ve said this before, and not all that long ago, but it has been so difficult to focus on YouTube lately. A big part of it is the fact that we don’t even make pocket change with our videos, and while the channel is more about the hobby aspect than any aspiration of money, at this current very very broke time in my life, it’s hard not to feel that anything that has no chance of making me money is a total waste of time. But that’s just a background feeling that’s been gnawing at me. In the meantime, let’s take a closer look at the actual week’s facts:
- Goal #1: Film more often. Two vids. Definitely not as good as it could have been, not by a long shot, but given prior weeks I’m genuinely happy that we managed to get those two vids in. The intention was to do more Halloween- and horror-related videos, but Jason’s been the only one with a) ideas, and b) f*cks to give. That’s not to say that I don’t give a f*ck about Halloween or the channel – that’s obviously the opposite of reality. I just have to bring my thought process back to what I said above about the effort not feeling worth it. Instead of filming videos I’ve been looking for jobs and trying to figure out how to sell books/old clothes/toys we don’t want, etc. My brain has just been too stuck on this “where is the money going to come from?” issue.
- Goal #2: Put more focus into, and have more fun with, the social media aspect. Social media continues to move forward fairly well, at least the channel accounts (the author accounts have been ridiculously dead lately; I just haven’t been able to find the effort). I’m still having a lot of fun with my Instagram Halloween challenge; some of my pics weren’t the greatest, but some of them are downright cool, to hell with modesty. I do have to admit, though, that I really should be POSTING on Twitter more, rather than just SCROLLING through my feed. I’ve been weirdly addicted lately. Or maybe it’s just that I’ve been lazy, and swiping one finger up repeated is a really easy thing to keep doing over and over again. Thoughts? 😛
#3: Focus more on myself.
We’re sneaking into winter weather, so baths have reentered my life (oh, how I missed you so), and that’s where the majority of my inner focus has been happening lately. I’ve been so sleepy and stressed out that I’ve been spending most of that bath time just staring at the walls around me, or closing my eyes and letting my head sink in the water, but hey…hot water and relaxation. Gimmi gimmi gimmi.
- Goal #1: Take time daily to read/watch/play. I’ve been focusing my little bit of time on getting through Carrie, since that was the book I really really wanted to read for Halloween. And it’s genuinely good! And weird. And so very, very Stephen King. Totally enjoying it.
Jason and I did watch “The Haunting of Hill House” during week 43, most of it binged in a single session that left us still awake at 4 am, because WE’RE SMART. I wouldn’t normally consider that “me time”, since it was spent with Jason, but I also really wanted to watch that show, so I’m going to count it just this once.
Games? They’ve been totally on the back-burner lately. I’ve been plucking out a few stages on Sailor Drops just when I’m, like, sitting in the car waiting for Adrianna to get out of school, or in between episodes while binging Netflix shows, but that’s pretty much been it. Oh! But I did forget to mention last week that I finally managed to finish Dead Nation on morbid mode. Thank bloody hell. I thought I was going to put the PS Vita through the wall if I didn’t get through that soon. Now I just need to finish a single stage on “Undead” mode for another trophy, and, uh…you know what? I’m not going to talk about that right now because the rage might overtake me. 😛
- Goal #2: Stay active, but don’t obsess. Dammit, I still didn’t get those other two Zombies Run Halloween missions in! Curse you for running away from me, week!
In all honesty though, I’ve also just been outrageously lazy lately when it comes to anything physical. Mental stuff? Yeah, I can handle that, even though I’ve been sleepy too. But physical stuff? Screw that. Let me stay in bed.
That’s obviously got to change though. I’m sinking deep back into bad habits. And I do miss my Zombie missions. I miss Sam’s voice egging me on. And I need to get some distance on my Pokemon Go eggs.
I’M SUCH A NERD.
Seriously though, if anyone has any ideas as to how I can perk myself up and maybe start sleeping less than 10 hours a day so that I can work some actual movement back into my life, that would be great.
Dammit, that post took way longer than I was expecting. Not that there was all that much to say, or that it was much longer than normal, but I’m pretty sure I’ve been staring at this computer screen for an hour and a half now. No wonder I’ve been getting so few words written. >.<
ANYWAY, that’s enough b*tching and moaning for today, I think. All in all the week wasn’t the worst; the biggest problem was just that it disappeared in a blink on me. With Halloween upon us in the next couple of days, hopefully my mind’s tendency to make time vanish in a flash will back off a bit and I’ll actually be able to gather my thoughts and figure myself out again. Cross your fingers for me, for bloody hell’s sake.
How was your week? Were you able to accomplish anything? Do anything fun? Make any progress toward your own goals? Feel free to share!