You know, I had entirely intended on actually having this post up on the proper day this week, and yet it completely got away from me. You want to know why? THIRTEEN-BLOODY-HOUR-WORK-DAYS.
Pardon me for having a minor breakdown, but jeebus… I’ve been working 12-hour workdays for years and am more than used to it, so I didn’t think adding one extra hour to the mix would really affect me that much. But here we are, nearly three weeks in (I go home tomorrow!!!) and I feel as though I could sleep for a week. Several days over the past ten or so I’ve eating supper and passed out laying down with a book, fully clothed, with all the lights on. And I’m telling you right now…I may be the kind of person who can fall asleep under most conditions, but to have fluorescent lights screaming down at me? Yeah. I must be pretty damn tired.
This is all to say, basically, that I’m doing my best, I’m honestly working as hard as I can to incorporate my 2020 goals into my current lifestyle, but it’s definitely been hella difficult. Luckily I’ll be home soon and will have a bit of a reprieve before the next job (hopefully).
In the meantime, let’s see what I managed to pull off while working THIRTEEN-BLOODY-HOUR-WORK-DAYS during week three.
Goal #1: Be Healthier
I messaged my husband the other day to let him know that I was dying. Metaphorically, of course. Here’s the thing: while working these shift jobs in the Northern Alberta oil sands, my coworkers and I live in work camps. Some camps are better than others. The one we’re in right now is far from the worst, but it has many negative connotations for those of us who have spent way more time than should be legal here.
Long story short, the food isn’t bad, but it’s limited in variety, and by the time you’ve spent a few weeks here you find that you’ve been eating the same handful of things practically every day and your body starts to rebel. I, myself, spent much of Sunday afternoon feeling as though baby xenomorphs were scratching around in my guts, looking for the way out.
That’s not to say that I haven’t been ‘healthy’, it’s just that even ‘healthy’ choices can destroy you if you don’t get that variety. Thank goodness for going home soon.
- Eat better (and less) – The food, as I’ve already explained above, has been a point of contention, not because it’s unhealthy, but because I’ve found myself eating the same four or five ‘healthy’ choices on a daily basis for over a week now. This generally consists of yogurt, berries, dry cereal, cheese, baby carrots and celery, and whatever the soup of the day is at camp. All in all, I think I’ve been doing pretty decently with what the camp provides, but I definitely can’t wait to get home and start making smoothies and try out the brussel sprouts recipe my husband made for our daughter (on request!) the other day.
- Drink more water – I’m still going strong on this one! Part of my success can be attributed to the fact that the inner layer of my tea press shattered, which makes it 100% useless in every way, therefore I haven’t been drinking tea or coffee much at all. Not the best of reasons to be doing well, but hey…silver lining? Anyway, the point is that I’ve been drinking plenty of water. It’s been helping to keep me awake during those ridiculously long shifts, especially when I get super-sleepy in the late afternoon. Anything past 2 pm is physically painful, you guys.
- Get more exercise – Exercise still hasn’t been happening, and you damn well know why, but it will be starting up again soon! My fly day is tomorrow; it’s a ridiculously long itinerary, but suffice it to say that I’ll be home by Thursday evening. I intend to take a couple of days to rest, relax, and hang out with my husband and daughter, and then on either Sunday or Monday I’m going to get into P90X again. My intention is to do the “Lean” program, and I’ve got high hopes. I’ve done it before and I can do it again, even if I’m a decade older now than I was then. 😛
- Lose 2 lbs per month – You know the drill by now! I’ll weigh myself when I get home and be able to give an update with next week’s post. 🙂
Goal #2: Be an Author
You know, I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had so many ideas swirling around in my head at once. Granted many of those ideas are for fan fiction, but they’re still ideas and could definitely be adapted into something more original if the inclination struck me. It’s been great, really, always having something that I can write about. I’ve had absolutely no lack of opening up a blank page and getting right down to it. Even if the idea I’m working on decides to get stuck in my head, there are ten other standing behind it, waiting their turn.
WRITE ALL THE STORIES!
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – Getting that word count up there continues to be my most successful goal at the moment. How can it not be when I’ve got so many ideas swirling around in my head these days? I’ve been mostly writing fanfic these past few weeks, because that’s what’s easy to do in the little pockets of time I have available, but I’ve also spun out a few pages toward The Other World: Book Three, which is obviously exciting!
I wrote 1923 non-fiction words last week, alongside 10,464 fictional words, for a grand spanking total of 12,387 words for week three! Considering my Pacemaker.press account was looking for 9592 words I’d say I did pretty damn well, thank you very much!
- Promote published books – I’m not even going to try to defend myself, my loves. I haven’t been putting any effort into this at all. Unless you count courting the Good Omens fandom with my fics and hoping that some of them decide to give my original work a look too. I say there hasn’t been time, but really…I could shoot out a Tweet or an Instagram post every now and then, couldn’t I? I definitely must get better at this particular goal.
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – Yeah, uh…this one didn’t happen either. >.> And I feel genuinely bad about it! But I intend to do a whole slew of transcribing during my painfully long fly day, and some of that stuff is going to be uploaded as Patreon exclusive content and/or early-access content, so…yeah! Keep your eyes open! It’s coming!
I also have yet to do what I said I was going to do, which is get “Into the Moonlight” set up as a Patreon exclusive item. And on that note, does anyone know if it’s possible to have both monthly-subscription options and single-purchase options on Patreon? I like the idea of a small monthly payment for access to whatever randomness I put up, but for something like “Into the Moonlight” I’d prefer to make it a single-purchase item that you don’t necessarily have to be subscribed for. I can’t seem to work out if that’s possible or not though.
- Work on Author social media – Social media in general is definitely still suffering because of work, but I’ve still be managing to throw up some tweets and Insta-pics (mostly) daily, so it hasn’t been dead. Looking at the Author accounts specifically, the Twitter hasn’t changed in the slightest, and the Instagram account as gained another 12 followers since last week. Hello new Good Omens fandom peeps! *waves cheerily*
(Shut up, I know that’s exactly who has been subscribing.)
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
Continuing on with the theme of January: I can’t do much of anything until I get home! Thank goodness home is coming sooner rather than later!
- Film/edit/upload – I’m not even going to say it. You know already. That said, I can’t wait to get home and film some of the stuff that’s been sitting there waiting for me! Jason has been collecting quite the little pile of packages and I’m quite eager to start ripping into them!
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – Repeating what I said above about the Author accounts, the social media has definitely suffered while I’ve been at this job, but it hasn’t died completely. I’ve been doing my best to find moments to throw a bone every now and then, and luckily things seem to be going pretty steadily. The YouTube channel gained 5 subscribers last week (hello new people!), and the Twitter and Instagram accounts each picked up and extra 1 follower. Those numbers are rather inconsequential, of course, but in general I just enjoy seeing positive number rather than negative ones.
- Expand website content – Again, this one will be coming once I get home. I have lots of ideas, but just haven’t had lots of time to spend sitting at my Chromebook typing them out.
On that topic though, which toy designers/distributors would you like to see a feature article for on TraceysBasement.com? 😀
Goal #4: Be Fun
I’m still laughing at my choice of words there. I’M FUN AS F*CK!
- Read 50 books throughout the year – So far this goal is sitting steady at a single book. And YES, I ADMIT IT, part of the problem is that I’m still hopelessly obsessed with Good Omens fan fiction. But part of the problem is also the fact that there’s no goddamn light in Northern Alberta in the winter, and by the time I get back to camp at night I’m too exhausted to focus on printed word. I’m hoping to devour Nevernight during my fly day (possibly even Godsgrave too, if my eyes don’t burn out of my head), and when my eyes get too sore to read anymore I’ll close them and finish listening to The Invisible Man on Librivox. Yes, I’m including audio books this year. Deal with it. 😛
- Play video games – I’m so close to being home with my video games! *shining happy eyes* There’s a chance I may play a bit of PS Vita during my fly day, but we’ll see what happens since I insist on getting some reading in first (and I’ll also be exhausted for a good portion of the trip since I’m stuck in Toronto overnight). Whether I do or not, however, I fully intend on trying Borderlands 3 when I get home. I need some more ClapTrap in my life ASAP.
- Watch shows/movies – I had thought that I might continue rewatching Supernatural while I was out on this job, but AGAIN WITH THE THIRTEEN-HOUR WORK DAYS. So, no, I haven’t gotten anything at all watched recently. I fully expect that to change soon, though, because my husband surely has a list of things he wants us to watch together when I get home, and I myself have personally declared that I MUST watch The Witcher as soon as possible. It just looks like so much fun, and now that I’ve heard some excellent reviews from people I trust the opinions of, I REALLLLLLLY want to watch it.
And that, as they say, is that! Week 3, done and dusted! I’m hoping to have a more successful and productive-sounding post for next week, but since I won’t really be home until rather late Thursday I won’t hold my breath. The week after that, though? Ooh boy. Hold on to your pants. XD
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments! ❤