Happy Monday everyone! Not that Mondays really mean anything right now, in these days of “just stay the fuck home”, but you can still have a happy one, right? Right!
A few random things to mention before I get into the meat of the post:
-This past weekend was my birthday! I am now the ripe old age of 36, which doesn’t really feel any different from 35, except for the fact that I realize I’m one year closer to 40, and damn if that number doesn’t sound horrible to me. That said, I managed to have a great day despite social distancing, and I want to give a big, loving shout-out to all the awesome people who hung out with me during my livestream on Instagram (more on that later).
-A few days ago I woke up with a sore neck, and it’s still driving me foolish, so I’d appreciate any advice y’all might have. I’ve been using a Magic Bag and painkillers when necessary, and doing regular gentle stretches, but it doesn’t seem to be getting better and it’s starting to really frustrate me.
-I hope you all had an awesome Easter, even if you couldn’t celebrate the way you normally do! We had an egg hunt in the house with Adrianna, and she got a few fun toys, like a dual-wield set of Nerf guns that I IMMEDIATELY loaded and shot at her, because I’m an awesome mom, period. 😛
Okay, I think that’s it, so let’s get into the main post!
Goal #1: Be Healthier
I was doing okay for the majority of last week when it came to being healthy, but everything kinda went downhill on me around Friday or so. In my defence, Saturday was my birthday and it’s totally unreasonable not to expect someone to eat and drink and be-fucking-merry on their birthday, so I’m sure you’ll forgive me my little indiscretions.
- Eat better (and less) – Yeah, so, like I just said, I did okay for the majority of the week, but from Friday evening through to Sunday night I totally gave up in favor of enjoying my birthday weekend. That means cake, Easter candy, fattening food cooked by my husband, and alcohol. Definitely the exact opposite of what I’m supposed to be doing, but hopefully I’ve got it out of my system now and can be better again this week.
- Drink more water – Still no issues here. Sometimes I forget to drink water if I’ve been gorging on coffee, but overwhelmingly-speaking, I’ve been drinking tons of H2O and feeling great for it.
- Get more exercise – I’ve now completed seven weeks of P90X and am going strong. I’ll admit that I skipped Sunday’s workout after waking up rather hungover. but I’ll make up for it sometime throughout this week.
While it’s hardly noticeable, I think I’m finally starting to see some results, at least in speaking of my personal capabilities. I’m finding the weights I use are actually starting to feel too light for certain moves, and the cardio-centric workouts don’t exhaust me like they used to.
I still have six more weeks of P90X, but I’m already thinking about jumping right into P90X2 when it’s all over. I’ll have to look into it, but I figure if I can survive the original X, I shouldn’t have any problem segueing into X2.
- Lose 2 lbs per month – Grrrr….I don’t even want to talk about it. Suffice it to say that, NO, I haven’t been losing weight, and it’s starting to piss me off.
Goal #2: Be an Author
You may recall that in last week’s post I mentioned a mini-goal of finishing the first draft of The Other World: Book Three by the end of April. That’s turning out to be a bit more difficult than I had imagined because I keep getting writer’s block something fierce. I have lots of awesome scenes worked out for the book, so I could theoretically jump to those and just write what I’ve already got figured out, but a lot of the in-between bits are really flummoxing me. Maybe I need to re-read Books One and Two to get myself back in the right mindset…
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – Anyway, even though I’m having writer’s block concerning Book Three, that doesn’t mean that I haven’t been writing. I’ve still been writing tons, and I’m totally proud of myself for it. For week 15 my Pacemaker.press account wanted me to write 9407 words. I didn’t absolutely demolish that number like I have on previous weeks, but I still beat it with a week’s word count of 10,298. The overwhelming majority of that was for “In Silence Our Secrets Lie“, which continues to get me so many absolutely wonderful comments that it may be my favorite thing I’ve ever written. Too bad it’s not publishable! Oh well, I’m still having fun, and people are reading it, which is bloody awesome.
- Promote published books – I’ve slacked off a bit recently, but I’m still promoting my ‘social distancing sale’ of having all three ebooks reduced to 99 cents each. Sales haven’t been outstanding or anything, but just the fact that I’m seeing sales is actually great compared to previous months, so I’ll take it.
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – I haven’t put up any Patreon-exclulsive content yet this week, but I have started sharing the other stuff I do on the account in order to keep it fresh and active. Not sure why I wasn’t doing that to begin with, to be honest.
That said, I’ve got an idea for an exclusive ‘The Other World’ short story; I just have to figure out exactly how I want to write it…
- Work on Author social media – Social media engagement was up and down throughout the week, but ultimately fell on the positive side of things. I gained one follower on Twitter, and five on Instagram, and I’ve been getting lots of comments and the like on my Instagram posts in particular. I also got a couple more fan-art pieces based on my Good Omens stuff, so that was pretty awesome! I’ll share them here in a separate post later on. 🙂
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
As I already mentioned above, I did another livestream on my birthday, and it was lots of fun again. This time Jason and I ended up getting a litttttttttle bit drunk, and near the end of the night I had a bit of a rant about how, overwhelmingly, the fact that we haven’t gotten back into YouTube has been my fault. So. Yeah. There’s that!
- Film/edit/upload – That said, filming has not yet resumed, but I’m really, genuinely hoping to do so this week. Unfortunately I had to deconstruct our filming table so I can wash the cover-up sheet (it stops the table from glaring under our lighting) because I spilled whiskey all over it during the livestream. But I’ll get that back together soon, and hopefully the audio laptop manages to hold on to life a bit longer.
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – Again I mention the livestream! If that’s not interacting with social media, I don’t know what is. All in all though, it was a quiet week for the channel’s accounts. I gained a follower on Twitter, and the Instagram account stayed the same. But hey, at least there were no losses!
- Expand website content – I will once again repeat that there will likely not be new website content until we get filming again. That said, I’m going to start trying to post some short, toys-and-collectibles-related content that doesn’t apply to videos specifically. For instance, there are a few companies who are doing major quarantine sales and/or running their own little socially-distanced conventions, so I can promote those! Good idea? Let me know what you think!
Goal #4: Be Fun!
I think we’ve established by now that I’m fun as shit. Right? Don’t you dare disagree with me, you brats!
- Read 50 books throughout the year – So in the past week I finished the Good Omens Script Book (love!) and started reading the second issue of the Food Wars manga. Honestly, I should have gotten more reading in throughout the week, but I’ll admit to finding a ‘Beauty and the Beast’-style Good Omens AU fanfiction and getting hooked on it. *cough cough* I swear, if I could count fanfictions as part of my Goodreads challenge, I’d be KILLING it.
- Play video games – First off, I need to mention that Jason and I have been paying Tetris Attacks on our SNES Classic. And the main reason I want to mention that is because I overwhelmingly KICK HIS ASS at that game, and I’m loving it. lol I’m very rarely the better gamer at anything, so just give me this one, okay?
The other game I’ve been playing over the past week is Resident Evil 3 Remake: Resistance. Jason had been playing the main single-player campaign, while I’ve been playing the online multiplayer option. Though there are definitely improvements that could be made, I personally like it. The main issue is definitely the matchmaking. You can play as the human survivors or the evil “Mastermind”, but Capcom made a stupid (in my opinion) decision to allow you to choose which one you want to play as. Most people prefer the Mastermind option, but since there’s only one of them per match (as compared to four human survivors), if everyone is trying to be the Mastermind it makes matchmaking impossible. I personally have just been choosing the “random” option, and the result is that I haven’t been the Mastermind once yet. That’s kinda ridiculous with how many matches I’ve played already. So, basically, my advice to Capcom is to patch out the option to choose which you want to play as. Make it random the way the Friday the 13th game was, and you make it significantly more fair for everyone involved.
- Watch shows/movies – Shows and movies have tapered off in favor of games, but we’ve been binging the hell out of Brooklyn 99 recently. Sooooo funny, I honestly never get sick of it. In the coming week, however, I’d like to get back to some movies while we’ve got the time. Specifically I’ve been wanting to see “Tag”, but I keep forgetting about it. 😛
So that’s that, basically! It was a decent week, despite some overindulgence on food and alcohol, and things in general seem to be doing okay. I hope you are all doing well, that you’re staying safe and sane and healthy, and that you continue to do so! Let’s get through this thing!
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments! ❤