Before we get into the bulk of the post today, I really feel like I ought to address the reality of the situation we woke up to in Nova Scotia this morning.
Yesterday, while my family and I were relaxing, playing some video games, Jason checked the news on his phone and found out that there was an active shooter situation currently happening in the Truro area. There were very few details being shared at the time, but it was definitely a shocking situation, especially considering we go to Truro fairly regularly when we’re out on our shopping trips. Jason kept an eye out for further info, but all we were really able to find out at the time was that there were victims in the hospital, and at least one of them was a police officer.
This morning we woke up to hear that Nova Scotia is now home to the deadliest mass shooting in Canadian history. There are a variety of slightly-conflicting reports going around and I don’t want to perpetuate inaccurate information, but we know that at least 17 people are dead, including at least one police officer, and the gunman was fatally shot when taken down by the police.
To say that I’m in shock is a bit of an understatement. It’s not to say that Nova Scotia is a beacon of sainthood, that bad things don’t happen here. But I’ve always thought of the province as a fairly calm place, all things considered. At the very least, mass-bloody-shootings do not happen here. Especially not the deadliest one in all of Canadian history.
My thoughts definitely go out to the victims and their families, and everyone affected by this senseless tragedy, and I want to offer this reminder to everyone reading this now… Live your life, tell your loved ones how much they matter to you, and take care of yourself, physically, mentally, and emotionally. Let’s not let the extremists of the world break our spirits, okay?
*deep breath* Now that I’ve said my piece on that, I’m going to go ahead and try to go through this post like normal.
Goal #1: Be Healthier
There’s no easy way to say this: I am absolute shit at taking care of myself. Further explanation in the sub-goals below.
Eat better (and less) – This is my biggest issue right here, and I don’t really know what to do about it if I’m being honest. I just don’t seem to be capable of stopping myself from eating crappy food. And if that weren’t bad enough, the quantity is another major issue. It’s like when I start eating, I can’t stop. My hunger is goddamn insatiable. What’s that hormone that regulates your appetite? Because I’m starting to genuinely believe that I don’t have that bloody hormone. Either that, or my body doesn’t distribute it properly.
So, long story short, yeah…I haven’t been doing great when it comes to eating less and better food. My body just refuses to let me hold on to anything even resembling willpower. Any suggestions would honestly be rather graciously appreciated.
- Drink more water – Herein is my only saving grace, but also a bit of a quandary. Isn’t drinking plenty of water supposed to help curb your appetite? Because that’s what they all say, but if it’s true it certainly doesn’t work for me! I’ve been drinking significantly more than what I need, and it certainly isn’t doing anything to curb any appetite. I call bullshit!
- Get more exercise – Exercise has been going as well as ever (except for yesterday, but, well, I’ll explain that later). The only problem is that it doesn’t seem to be doing me much good. As mentioned several weeks in a row now, I just don’t seem to be seeing any kind of results. I’ve been thinking of switching to P90X2 to see if a bit more of an intense workout would help, but the problem is that X2 actually requires a bit of equipment that I don’t have, like stability balls and foam rollers. I could, of course, just go out and get myself that stuff, but I don’t really know if I want to spend the money right now with everything that’s going on.
- Lose 2 lbs per month – As you can probably guess, I still haven’t actually lost any weight. I’ve gone down one or two pounds at one point or the other, only to go back up again. It is quite an incredible frustration.
Goal #2: Be an Author
Firstly, a quick mention about that mini-goal I had mentioned a few weeks ago. I said that I was going to finish a draft of The Other World: Book Three, but that’s highly unlikely to happen at this point. Last week I mentioned a bout of writer’s block, and that’s definitely still part of the problem. Another part is that I’ve had plenty of ideas for other projects, so I’ve been working on those instead. Writing is writing, so it’s all good, but I definitely plan to retry this particular mini-goal in May.
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – Concerning the writing that did occur over the past week, I have to admit that I didn’t hit my Pacemaker.press goal this time around. I’m a bit perturbed with myself, but I was unable to find time to write all through Saturday and Sunday (for a few reasons, none of which matter to you guys), so overall I’m still pretty pleased with what I did pull off. Pacemaker wanted me to write 9479 words, and even with two days of effectively nothing I still managed to write a total of 7553 words. That’s nothing to sneeze at!
- Promote published books – As you can probably guess, I’ve still been promoting my 99 cent social distancing ebook sale. In fact, I submitted the sale to a few websites that promote such things, but I haven’t really seen any results from that. I also mentioned the sale, again, on our most recent livestream (more on that later), but again, I haven’t seen any results from that. I’m a bit perturbed about it, if I’m being honest. I don’t expect huge influxes of sales, but there’s been nothing now for a full week, and I’m starting to twitch.
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – Baring having any book sales recently, something that’s pretty awesome is that I got a new Patron! So thank you again very much to Brandon for joining the Patreon crew. I haven’t had any Patron-exclusive content up yet this month, which I feel really bad about, but I now have ideas for two shorts – one from The Other World and one from Nowhere to Hide – so hopefully I’ll be able to get those up soon.
- Work on Author social media – Social media was up and down throughout the week. The weekend in particular was bad for communication, especially Sunday (more on that later), but the bulk of the week wasn’t too bad. More specifically I had a good bit of interaction on Instagram, especially when I posted the most recent chapter of In Silence My Secrets Lie. The Good Omens fandom really is the absolute best, I’m just sayin’.
Talking specific numbers, I gained two followers on the Twitter account and seven on the Instagram account over the week.
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
*cough cough* Okay, so, uh…I was actually supposed to break back into things today, as per discussions had on Saturday’s livestream, but as the result of a combination of sleeping in super-late and waking up to discover our province now has a brand shiny new murder record, the day turned into one of rest and relaxation. Sue me. We’ll start tomorrow. *crosses fingers behind back, just in case*
- Film/edit/upload – So yeah, as you’ve most likely established, no videos have been filmed. We did have another livestream on the weekend, though, and during that livestream I talked about how I want to try to get back into the swing of things this coming week. It’s not going to be easy going, I’m sure, especially considering the extended period of time we’ve been off, so please bare with me if we don’t just come out with a huge slew of videos all at once. We’ll start slow and see where it goes.
Plus Jason has to learn a) how to deal with some features on his new laptop that are different than he’s used to, and b) learn the new version of Adobe Premiere that he got for editing future videos. Soooo, even if we get some stuff filmed soon, they might not be available for viewing right away.
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – Again I shall mention the livestream, because that was my big social interaction of the past week. Unfortunately everything else was a little on the slow side. The Twitter account stayed stagnant again, and the Instagram account (the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE) went back down four followers. I really don’t get the Instagram account AT. ALL. Maybe I should start posting pics of myself all sweaty in my exercise gear again. *epic eye roll*
That all said, funny enough the YouTube subscriber account has been going up (I guess people are finding us while being bored out of their minds on social distancing) and has recently hit 5005 subs. That’s pretty exciting, since we were hovering just below 5k for quite a while.
- Expand website content – Nothing to report here yet, but I’m hoping to start getting some new content up very soon, even if it’s just super-sort articles talking about new toys/collectibles/games/etc.
Goal #4: Be Fun!
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I’m fun AF.
- Read 50 books throughout the year – So I had planned to take a bit of a break from prose-heavy stuff and focus for a little while on easier-to-consume stuff like manga. In the end I would up reading precisely one manga (the second volume of Food Wars, which is awesome by the way) before deciding that I was in the mood for some young adult fantasy. Thus, I dove into the first book in the Disney’s Twisted Tales series, “Once Upon a Dream”, which is a retelling of what happened after Prince Phillip killed the dragon and kissed Sleeping Beauty. I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect with this series, but since I’m approximately 2/3 of the way through the book already I’m going to go ahead and say I’m pleased with it. It’s not quite as “twisted” as I was imagining, but it’s hardly a children’s story either. There’s murder in it, for instance, but the relationship between Aurora and Phillip is also super sweet and adorable. All in all it’s an interesting take and I’m rather enjoying it. I can’t wait to check out the rest of the series as well.
- Play video games – I spent most of my gaming time this past week picking out the occasional round of Resident Evil 3 Remake: Resistance. I don’t know why I keep going back to it, to be honest. All the rounds are rather samey, and it’s at the point now that anyone with even a tiny bit of Mastermind experience will absolutely murder a squad of survivors, but for some reason I still find it amusing. And besides, it kinda bugs me that we don’t have those trophies yet. Jason ‘platinumed’ the main game, but is unlikely to bother with the multiplayer, so if those trophies are going to be obtained, it’s going to be me who does it. Yikes.
On a totally different topic, though, Jason and I started going through some of the many, MANY games backlogged from the past few years of PS Plus freebies. We tried out a game called ‘Foul Play’ which is a cute little two-person beat-em-up, and it was rather enjoyable. We also booted up ‘Day of the Tentacle’, which is a successor to the old point-and-click ‘Maniac Mansion’ game, and we spent the last couple of days working our way through that as a team. It was lots of fun, if not occasionally rather frustrating. 😛
- Watch shows/movies – Aside from continuing on with ‘Brooklyn 99’ on Netflix and checking out the most recent two episodes of the Harley Quinn animated series, we haven’t really been watching much of any incidence. There were a few old groaner-type b-movies, including one called ‘Death Wish’ that really has to be seen to be believed, but nothing new or major as we’ve been more distracted by things like video games for our spare time. That said, in the coming week I’d like to finally get around to watching ‘Tag’, which we noticed the other day is on Netflix, plus the last two episodes of ‘The Witcher’ that I need to finish off, and if I find the time I’d like to watch some more of ‘Prodigal Son’ because I thought the first episode was brilliant. Wish me luck and time!
So that about covers week 16, which ended on the rather depressing and terrifying note I spoke about in the beginning of this post. All in all it would have been a decent enough week aside from that absolutely horrifying situation, but as I said in the beginning, we can’t let these kinds of events destroy us. Keep living, keep loving, and keep moving forward in the best way you know how. It’s all we can do.
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments! ❤