How many weeks are we into social distancing right now? I’ve got to admit, I’ve lost all sense of the passage of time. It’s especially difficult to tell where we are in the year since it keeps RANDOMLY FRIKKIN’ SNOWING in Nova Scotia. I feel like we’ve somehow gone back in time. What year is it even? WHAT IS HAPPENING?!
In all seriousness, there’s been lots of news floating around, mostly coming from the US, about cities reopening services, opening beaches and the like, and from Canada some huge groupings of protesters trying to get things put back to normal. And with all that going on I just wanted to take a moment to remind you all to NOT BE DUMB-ASSES. The more you refuse to follow the rules, the more you insist on going out in large groups, the more you fail to take even the most basic precautions, the longer this thing is going to last. I’ll be the first person to tell you that things will have to break eventually, lest the world economy shatter into a million pieces, but for the time being we have to all do our part or it’s pointless. Do you want more people to die? No? Then stay the fuck home you selfish pricks.
Okay. Now that I’ve got that out of my system…
Goal #1: Be Healthier
Let’s not mince words here. I had a really, really bad week. But it’s leading up to something! As of today (possibly as you’re reading this) I’m starting P90X-2, and the intention is to take it very seriously. I expect this program to kick my ass up and down this house, and that’s what I want. But in the days leading up to that I decided to give myself a bit of a break, soooo….
- Eat better (and less) – ….I’ve been eating like a pig. Okay, it might not be the worst I’ve ever been, but there’s definitely been a lot of carbs on the menu, and my portions haven’t exactly been small. But I intend to get my ass in gear with a better diet in tandem to P90X-2, so you can forgive me for splurging for a few days beforehand, right?
- Drink more water – Still drinking plenty of water, although I suspect I actually may still need a bit more than what I’ve been getting. I had a couple of days of feeling a bit scatterbrained and unable to focus, and I think I may have actually just been a tad dehydrated, so I’m going to start tracking my intake a little better.
- Get more exercise – Again, I gave myself a few days off here before starting the new program. I did do a few days of exercise during the first half of the week, but allowed myself to rest for the second half. Things are going to get really interesting from here, so I figured I deserved a wee bit of downtime before sacrificing myself to the P90X-2 gods.
- Lose 2 lbs per month – I haven’t been weighing myself, to be perfectly honest, because I know (roughly) where I am and I just haven’t wanted to see the number. That said, I’ll be weighing myself today (will have done by the time you’re reading this) for my start-of-program stats, and I’ll start letting you know how things are going next week when I’ve actually been good for a full week (*cough cough*).
Goal #2: Be an Author
First off, I’d like to address the mini-goal of finishing a draft of “The Other World: Book Three” in April. As I mentioned last week, that definitely didn’t happen, not for a lack of trying but because I had some major writer’s block when it came to that particular WIP. Luckily, however, I’ve recently come up with a few ideas that I think will get the ball rolling, so to speak, so I intend to shift that mini-goal into May. Wish me luck!
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – In the meantime, while my mini-goal didn’t go over, I’ve still been writing plenty. I’ve been writing my fanfics, of course, but I also wrote a short from the world of “Nowhere to Hide” that I put up on my Patreon as an exclusive piece (more on that in a moment). All things totalled, I wrote 9513 words last week. My Pacemaker.press account was only looking for 7883 words, so that’s a pretty good week!
- Promote published books – I’ve still been promoting my social distancing sale of course, though the interest in that seems to have died down. Maybe I should make some new images for it or something… On other fronts, however, I’ve got a friend looking over the erotica I write under a pen name, because I’ll be ‘revealing’ and promoting that soon as well. While I’ll continue to publish those under the pen name for simplicity of keeping SFW and NSFW stuff separated, I don’t really see any point in hiding the fact that I write it, since I regularly promote my smutty fanfiction like it’s going out of style. If you don’t like it, don’t read it, that’s what I figure!
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – As mentioned above, I recently posted an exclusive piece on my Patreon. It’s called “To Be Devoured” and it’s a short story from the world of my “Nowhere to Hide” novel. If you’ve read the book it’s an interesting little look at what happened behind the scenes of the news report from the opening chapter. So if you’re interested, check out my Patreon! ❤
- Work on Author social media – Social media was going okay for the first half of the week…then…you know, I don’t even really know what happened! I just kinda…stopped. It coincided with the days I took off from diet and exercise, so maybe my entire brain just decided to shut down and give up everything at once. Either way, the second half of the week saw me do basically nothing on social media. Yet, surprisingly, I still gained 1 follower on the Twitter account and 3 on the Instagram account. It must be those lovely Good Omens fans who are always tracking me down through my fanfics. XD
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
- Film/edit/upload – Okay, straight up, I totally intended to start filming this past week. And then everything broke. Okay, maybe that’s a little dramatic, but first off, my old laptop (the one we use to record our audio) completely crapped out on itself. I’m not exactly sure what’s wrong but it just keeps going to a blue Windows-style boot screen with nothing else on it and it just stays there forever. I’ve tried booting a dozen different ways, including running pre-boot scans and going in under various BIOS settings, but it just will not do anything other than go to that screen.
So we eventually established that we’re just going to have to use Jason’s new computer for our audio (not a huge deal, but annoying since we’ll have to move it up and downstairs all the time since it’s also our editing computer). But then I tried the Snowball ICE microphone that the lovely miss Marie sent us a while back…and that wouldn’t bloody work. After a couple of days of troubleshooting we eventually established that this particular mic is no longer supported by the company for newer operating systems. For bloody hell’s sake.
It’s not the end of the world since we still have the old mic we were using, but between those two items I spent all week troubleshooting instead of actually getting into the filming, which is obviously frustrating.
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – So if I couldn’t get any filming and whatnot done, I probably focused on the social media aspect, right?
The channel social media accounts suffered the same fate as the author ones in the second half of the week. I guess my brain really did shut down. Quite stupid of me, but it’s in the past now and it’s time to look to the future! That said, the Twitter account stayed the same last week and the Instagram lost 5 followers. *epic groan*
- Expand website content – Yeah, no, still…uh. Shut up. I spent most of the week troubleshooting shit. Gimmi a break.
Goal #4: Be Fun!
Bitch, I’ve never been MORE fun!
- Read 50 books throughout the year – So I finished “Once Upon a Dream” from the Twisted Tales series, and I can officially state that I loved it. It was a bit different from what I was expecting, but all in all it was an interesting take on the Sleeping Beauty tale, and on a personal note I really appreciated how concepts of depression were handled in some of the later chapters. It really caught me by surprise and was, I feel, well done. I’ll definitely be reading through the rest of the series, but for the moment I might move on to something a little different. I’m feeling like I’m in a bit of a horror mood now. I might pick up one of the numerous unread Stephen King’s I have, though it might have to be one of his shorter ones for now. 😛
- Play video games – Gaming has been all over the place lately. I don’t know if it’s because I’m leaning more toward whatever Jason and Adrianna feel like playing, or because my brain just refuses to narrow in on any one particular thing in recent days. Either way I’ve played bits and pieces of SNES Classic games, “Borderlands 3”, “Katamari Forever” AND “Katamari ReRoll”, and the occasional round or two of “Resident Evil 3 Resistance”. Among all that nonsense, however, I finally managed to defeat that GODDAMN Katagawa Ball in “Borderlands 3”, so I might get some focus back on that one now that I’m not cursing its name.
- Watch shows/movies – We’ve been focusing more on movies than shows recently (although we’re still working on “Brooklyn 99” and just caught up the last two episodes of “Archer” that we realized we’d never watched), though most of them have been older b-movie fair that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. That said, we recently watched “TAG” on Netflix, which was awesome in my opinion, and just yesterday we watched “Villains” on Prime Video, which was not quite what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it. We also watched some classic old horror like “Slumber Party Massacre” and some not-so-classic old horror like “Night Wish”, and I can vouch for them both if you’re a fan of slashers and/or weird-ass supernatural nonsense.
And that, as they say, is that! It was…well, to be honest it was kind of a shit week. Writing stuff stayed strong, and my media consumption has certainly been strong, but everything else was a total bust. Here’s hoping that the coming week proves more fruitful, what with starting P90X-2 and hopefully actually settling in to do some vid recording. Wish me luck!
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments! ❤