Happy Monday everyone!
Warning Note! I’m about to get “ranty” (hee hee hee), so if you’re not up for that, go ahead and skip down to the Goals sections!
Before I get into the bulk of today’s post, I just wanted to address a comment that I recently received on a “rant” I indulged in at the beginning of last week’s post. You can easily go back to the last post and check it out, but for simplicity’s sake, I basically stated that Donald Trump is a moron who regularly spouts nonsense, and I begged people to please ignore his off-the-wall and quite INCORRECT health advice concerning Covid (such as, for instance, ingesting a chemical that can have extreme side effects, which hasn’t even had any proper testing done to see if it affects Covid in any way, or…you know…drinking bleach). And I stand by that comment. If you’re worried about Covid, if you have questions, concerns, or have heard about possible treatments or ways of protecting yourself, ASK A HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL, not a businessman, regardless of his position in the government!
For my opinions (because, yes, I’ll happily admit that that is what they are, regardless about how true I believe them to be), I got a comment stating that I’d lost a subscriber/follower across all media platforms because of my decision to write a “TDS” rant on my personal blog. I don’t feel the need to respond to the commenter directly because if he was serious about cutting my existence out of his life over my words, he wouldn’t read that response anyway. But there are definitely a few things I want to point out to whomever else might read this follow up.
First off, I want to address the use of “TDS Rant” as his description of what I said. “Trump Derangement Syndrome”, seriously? I am literally laughing my ass off. The fact that supporters of the president have created this descriptor in the first place is just plain hysterical. I literally laughed out loud when I looked it up and found out what it meant. That aside, I’d love to know how pointing out that the man talks out of his ass far more often than he says anything of practical value makes me “deranged”. But you know what? If seeing the faults in his character and recognizing how easy it is to see the bullshit in his words makes me “deranged”, I’ll happily accept the label. It’s no skin off my nose.
Secondly, I want to address the fact that the commenter began his comment by stating that he echoes my sentiments about his president toward my prime minister. Basically, all I want to say here is…okie dokie. Yay for you? Have I ever defended Justin Trudeau? No, seriously, find me anywhere on my social media or any other public forums where I praised Trudeau and acted like he’d never done a thing wrong since he’s been in power, and I will humbly accept my wrongs. But the fact of the matter is that I don’t generally talk politics, and if I do I’m exceptionally harsh when it comes to all politicians because I think they’re all crooks in their own way. So no, I’ll definitely not defend our prime minister for some of the stupid shit he’s done. But any idiocy conceived by our PM does not, in any way, change the facts of any idiocy done by the USA’s president. That’s like saying that can’t thing American food is gross because you think Canadian food is gross. It’s a complete nonsense argument.
Thirdly, going along with the previous note, I just wanted to quote this bit: “he isn’t as corrupt at yours, as politically correct as yours and if all you know about our President is what you read about him in the mainstream media, then you’re just a closed minded bigot like the major amount of Canadians.” Sorry, that made me snort. I’m not even going to comment further one way or the other. Think about it what you will. It just another giggle out of me.
Lastly, the commenter closed with a bit of “advice”: basically that I should keep my political opinions to myself unless I want to lose current and/or potential followers. And you know what? That is absolutely true. However, I want to point out two issues with that logic.
The first is that this is not a “political opinion”. My rant was based on the fact that I’m seeing people doing positively deranged (hey there’s that word again!) things because they got the idea from someone they idolize who has no education on the topic. It doesn’t matter if it’s the president, a musician, an athlete, or your bloody grandma. If someone with no medical training at all gives you advice on how to ward off a deadly disease and you jump on that advice without even doing a modicum of personal research, sorry…you’re a fucking moron. Yep, that’s my opinion. Take it to the bank. But it’s not a political one because it has nothing to do with the fact that he’s the president. It has to do with the fact that he’s, I repeat: NOT A FUCKING DOCTOR.
The second issue with the commenter’s statement is simply this… Yes, I understand that opinions, these days especially, are like a double-edged sword. Expressing them may get me floods of followers or a drought of them. The thing is, I couldn’t care less. If someone looks at the first real, strong opinion I’ve ever expressed on my blog and decides I’m officially someone not worth paying attention to: good for you. There’s lots of people I don’t pay any attention to for the exact same type of reason. That’s your choice. But it’s also my choice to say what I feel and mean and not worry about what that might mean about my subscriber count next month. As much as I’d love for it to be reality, I’m a logical enough person to understand that I’ll probably never pay the bills with my writing or YouTube channel or social media, so why would I drive myself insane trying to be a perfect little picture of myself that couldn’t possibly offend a single soul because she has no opinions, just so I can up my sub count?
Nah. Screw that. You were right about one thing, commenter: they’re my opinions and I’ll express them if I want to. If that means some people decide they never want to see my presence again on the internet, well, that’s the price I pay, I guess! Boo-hoo for me. 😛
And that’s the last I’ll say about that. I’ve had my fun and said my piece, and the whole ordeal really isn’t worth spending any more of my time or energy on.
On to the goals, bitches!
Goal #1: Be Healthier
Phewwww….being healthy is so hard you guys! Does anyone want to be my personal chef/dietitian, because I’m pretty sure that’s what I actually need in order to succeed.
- Eat better (and less) – I had a bit of an epiphany later in the week after several days of sneaking snacks every time I turned around. The long and short of it is that I think I’m addicted to sugar. Like, properly addicted. I seem to be incapable of just having a small treat and being happy with that. A small treat turns to cravings, which turns to constantly grabbing things whenever I see them, which turns into suddenly being several hundred calories over my daily limit. Not only does that negate the hard work I’m doing with P90X-2, but it also seems to give me mood swings. Basically the sugar-high wears off, I feel like shit, and I get cranky, depressed, and mopey, which makes me crave more sugar. Therefore I’m trying to cut back almost entirely on processed sugars. It’s exceptionally difficult, because I have a sweet tooth like no other, but I’m trying to fight the cravings with fruit to see if I can ween myself down from the insanity a bit. So far it seems to be going okay, although I will admit to nearly giving in multiple times already.
- Drink more water – I mentioned last week that, despite getting plenty of water, I suspected that I might actually need some more. So I’ve been trying to incorporate that extra water into my diet over the past week. It seems to be going well, and I think it’s helping with fatigue. Maybe. We’ll see.
- Get more exercise – P90X-2 continues! I haven’t missed a day yet, thank goodness, because I don’t think I could ever double up on these exercises in order to catch up. Some of them are just pure agony. I’m definitely starting to get a little better as I go, though. Flexibility is definitely improved, and with some of the jobs I couldn’t even attempt before, I can now do a minimal number of reps. It still feels like I’m a pathetic lump, but there’s no doubt that things are happening, slowly but surely.
- Lose 2 lbs per month – As compared to last week at this time, I’ve lost nothing, but neither have I gained anything, so go me! Considering that I’m almost definitely gaining muscle right now, I’m going to call a no-gain week a winner for the time being.
Goal #2: Be an Author
Once again, writing itself is definitely not an issue. It’s all the other little things that seem to be breaking me.
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – I’ve never written so many consecutive days, you guys, and for that alone I’m super proud of myself! That aside, though, this past week in general was just as great as the previous few. My Pacemaker.press goal for the week was 11,660 words, and I surpassed that with 13,536 words. That was almost entirely fanfiction, but I’ve been getting so much lovely positive feedback from stories like “In Silence Our Secrets Lie” that I just can’t resist working on them! And hey, it might not be publishable in it’s current form, but writing is writing and can always be edited and reworked into something else!
- Promote published books – There hasn’t been a lot of promotion going on recently because, to be frank, it’s just not been on my mind as much as other things. I did mention my e-book sale on the livestream Jason and I did last night, but other than that I don’t really have anything to report.
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – I already mentioned that my brain has been stuck in fanfiction mode, but now that we’re well into May I definitely have to decide on at least one good piece for my Patrons. I have a few different ideas for shorts from the worlds of my novels – I just haven’t settled on actually putting one down on paper yet. Soon, though, I promise!
- Work on Author social media – To be frank, social media of all kinds went a little sideways on me last week. There were several days in a row when, speaking bluntly, I just didn’t want to talk to anyone in any form. The reasons why are my personal business, but I’m definitely annoyed with myself for letting it go on as long as it did. To those ends, I lost subs on both the Twitter and Instagram account at once for the first time in ages. It was only 1 sub on the Twitter and 2 on the Instagram, but it still feels like a bit of an annoyance after how good the Instagram in particular had been doing.
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
In similar fashion to the author social profiles, YouTube was simply not a concern of mine last week. Just being truthful!
- Film/edit/upload – That said, we did manage to film one video late in the week, and it was a whopper of one that involved tearing open five built-up My Geek Box sub boxes. Given how long a stretch of time we went without filming anything at all, I’m honestly a little bit surprised that we managed to pull that one off without doing something stupid or things devolving into blows. Surprisingly, it went really well. So now we have two videos worth of footage; we just have to re-learn how to edit on the updated program and new laptop…wish us luck!
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – You can probably guess that the social media for the YouTube channel was about as active last week as the author accounts. And you would be correct! Although, surprisingly, each account gained a single follower. Hardly worth even noting, but it kinda makes me chuckle. The most significant thing that happened with the YouTube socials last week was definitely the little livestream we did last night. It wasn’t anything major – just answering a few questions and unboxing a couple of Dragonball Z figures so we can get them up on the shelves – but it was something to let people know that we’re still alive, at least.
- Expand website content – I know I keep saying this, but I really do have every intention on getting some new content up on the website! I just keep getting distracted by things that, frankly, are more important to me at the moment. It’s actually quite flabbergasting to me that with this social distancing stuff I’ve got more free time than I’ve ever had in my life, and yet it seems like I’m trying to cram ten times as many things into that time. It’s flummoxing, to say the least.
Goal #4: Be Fun!
In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun! Right? Yeah, no, I’ve totally lost my mind…
- Read 50 books throughout the year – Confession time! Okay, well, first of all, I did finish the first book of “The Walking Dead”, so that’s something for sure. However, while I totally intended to go right on to book two and forward…I kinda…maybe…sorta…a little bit….gothookedonacoupleofnovellengthfanfictions.
On the one hand, I refuse to feel bad about it, because they were beautifully written, and they’re still reading, FFS, so it’s all good, right?
On the other hand, I kinda do feel bad about it because I have so many actual books to read! Just on my shelves I must have easily over a hundred books I want to get read, and that’s before even looking at my Kindle Unlimited account! There just needs to be more hours in the day, you guys! Or else I need to become a creature of the night who never requires sleep to survive.
- Play video games – I drifted away from games a bit in this past week, but one that I can definitely report becoming horribly addicted to is “Animal Crossing: New Horizons”. And honestly, I feel like my style of gameplay is so wrong compared to what Animal Crossings veterans would do (ha ha ha), but damned if it’s not fun as hell. My only complaint (did I mention this last week?) is that it’s only one island per Switch console, which means that my daughter and I are sharing an island. And, I mean…it’s not like we’re at each other’s throats or anything, but, for example, whichever one of us gets to the console first in the morning picks all the fruit and weeks, picks up all the shells, and so forth, so that there’s very little left for the other to do. With that said, Adrianna has been at least twice as addicted to me, and is currently only a couple thousand bells away from paying off her second-level house, while I’ve still got over a hundred thousand to save up. And I started two days before her! *shakes fist vehemently*.
- Watch shows/movies – So we finally finished all the available “Brooklyn 99” episodes (is the show continuing?) and therefore had to find other things to watch. We’ve been picking at “Harley Quinn” and “What We Do in the Shadows” as episodes are available, but for something to binge we started catching up on “Food Wars”, AKA “Shokugeki no Soma”. This, my friends, is one of the more ludicrous anime I’ve ever watched, and I love it. It sounds so lame and grounded in reality when you first hear about it (a teenage boy transfers into a prestigious culinary school) but the first time someone takes a bite of something and all their clothes burst off in an orgasmic explosion…yeah. It’s so goddamn stupid, but it’s impossible not to keep watching! We actually just finished all the available episodes today, and now I’m sad. 😛
As for movies, I don’t think we’ve really watched anything newer lately, but we’ve still been picking at older stuff from the streaming sites. Off the top of my head we watched “Leprechaun” the other day (and showed Adrianna, who thought it was ridiculously wonderful), and we watched a few other older slashers as well.
And that was pretty much that! Not the most productive of weeks, aside from the writing, but not terrible considering the kind of week I was having mentally and emotionally. As an addendum, we’re finally starting to get something that looks like actual Spring weather, and I’m hoping that the shift will help push me into a more awake, alert, happy, and overall productive mood. Hey, a girl can hope and dream, right?
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments! ❤