So, right off the bat, WordPress has a new editor system which I’m trying out with this post, and because of my scrutinizing of said system, I noticed that for the past TWENTY WEEKS I’ve been titling these posts as “Plan & Goals” instead of “Plans and Goals”. Apparently I only have one plan, you guys. One track mind and all that.
WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?
Okay, okay…I can get past this. 😛 MOVING ON!
I mentioned last week that my mind has been a bit…off lately. That has not changed. I’m not sure exactly what it is, but I’m not above blaming the multiple facets of the Covid pandemic. That said, I think the fact that we’re finally getting some decent spring weather is starting to help. Waking up to sunlight and actually experiencing that sunlight for the full day is definitely pleasant. I actually went out and did some gardening the past two days in a row, and the physical activity is quite nice. On that same note though: fuck vines. Fuck them in their stupid viney arses.
(To clarify, the snaky bastards look pretty for about a week while they’re blooming their pretty purple flowers, but after that all they do is sneak underneath everything and destroy my other landscaping, not to mention our backyard deck. -_-)
Okay, I don’t really have a lot else to talk about this week that isn’t directly related to goals, so let’s go ahead and get into it.
Goal #1: Be Healthier
Okay, so…you know what? It would be easier to just go ahead and get into the sub-goals to best explain what’s going on here…
- Eat better (and less) – In an overall sense, I would say that this goal has been going decently over the past week, but there were some definite hiccups. Said hiccup’s name is Justin. (Sorry bro…lol) Social distancing restrictions have been relaxed a bit in Nova Scotia, and as a result we had a visit from Jason’s cousin for two nights in the middle of the week. I’m always up for company – especially company that enjoys drinking and playing random games (we learned Unstable Unicorns this time!), but it also reasonably leads to overeating. And it seems as though whenever I have one of those gorging days, it takes three to four days before I can convince myself to STAHP.
To clarify; I definitely overate this week. But with that said, I don’t feel like I overate enough to justify what I’m going to explain a bit further down…
- Drink more water – Water has been no problem. I’m drinking tons, especially first thing in the morning. I drink coffee and tea too, but have been making sure to sneak in glasses of water between them so I don’t get behind. Two thumbs up for me here.
- Get more exercise – This one is a double-edged knife. So, I did do all my P90X2 vids last week, even with the drinking nights involved. All well and good there, no major issues or anything.
The problem actually came this morning. I was set to start a new video, since I’m now on the second month of the program, but it just wasn’t happening. I kinda felt like the universe was trying to tell me something, to be honest. First the file just refused to play, even after trying several different players, then my Chromebook just froze up, refusing to download any other apps and being slow as sin. Then, after over half an hour, when I finally got the video playing…I couldn’t do any of the goddamn exercises. The vid is almost entirely pull-ups/chin-ups (which I am physically incapable of doing) and varieties of push-ups (which I can only do about ten off before my arms collapse underneath me).
Long story short, the entire morning was very discouraging overall, and I ended up giving up on the vid about halfway through in a frustrated rage. I went out and did some gardening instead.
Long story short addendum: I’d chosen to skip the optional “rest week”, but after today’s epic failure I think I might take it after all, and spend the week doing Zombies Run missions instead. Then I’ll see how I feel next week.
- Lose 2 lbs per month – So…here’s the thing. Fuck my life. That’s the thing.
Okay, okay, so…the real thing is that I’m honestly beginning to believe that I can’t lose weight anymore. I know that’s stupid and untrue, but it’s definitely feeling like it. Because, you see…yeah, sometimes I have bad days and overeat or whatever, but in a general, overall view of things, I’ve been doing well and exercising my ass off. And yet, I might – might – lose a pound or two, only to put it back on a few days later. Overall I have accomplished NOTHING concerning my weight since the beginning of the year. And before anyone brings up muscle gain and changes in body composition and whatnot…no. I’ve taken measurements, I’ve taken photos throughout, and I’ve kept track of things like body fat percentage, and NOTHING IS CHANGING.
And honestly, I don’t know if I have the energy to give a fuck anymore. It’s getting exhausting trying to care. I’m seriously considering saying fuck it and just buying a whole new wardrobe that fits my stubborn-ass body.
Goal #2: Be an Author
Writing, as has become the case over the past year or so, seems to be my one constant that hasn’t been disappointing me terribly.
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – I spent most of the week working on “In Silence Our Secrets Lie” because it’s nearly done and I’m excited to have it complete (although it is a bit bittersweet, I’ll admit). I also dabbled a bit with a piece I’m writing as a compliment to a comic I’ve been enjoying, and finally I did a bit of (good!) work on “The Other World: Book Three”. Over those three projects I managed to scrape together 13,263 words over the past week, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. It’s especially nice since my Pacemaker.press account was only looking for 11,219 words. Yay for continuing to kick the weekly goals’ asses!
- Promote published books – I did something totally unprecedented this past week: I set up a Kindle ad campaign.
It’s only a small one, as cheap as I could go with their defaults, but it’s something, right? Mainly I’m curious to see whether the campaign actually accomplishes anything. Thus far I don’t really see anything worth reporting. One ebook sale and some KU pages read, but that’s it.
I’m also waiting to hear from Kindle on the fact that my “Ad Campaigns” page is a blank white slate with no stats or anything. Kinda hard to see if it’s doing anything that way.
I also mentioned last week that I’d joined BookBub as a possible advertising venue and was waiting to get confirmation on my author profile. That’s all good now, but I haven’t set up any ads with them yet. There are a few different options and I want to try to figure out what’s going to give me the best bang for my buck if I’m going to be spending money.
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – Shhhhhiii- Okay, so…I just, like…totally forgot about Patreon this past week. Sorry my lovely Patrons! I promise I’ll find some stuff to post over the next few days!
- Work on Author social media – I haven’t really got anything to report here for this week. Social media has been a steady but slow process with me lately. No excuses or anything, just stating the facts.
As far as the author accounts, the Twitter lost two followers and the Instagram gained one, so…nothing to really speak of.
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
Can I just skip this entire section? No? Okay, okay, fine…
- Film/edit/upload – Between me being sick (don’t worry, it was just some kind of sinus bug), then us having company for two days, then having other issues I was dealing with…yeah, nothing in particular happened. Jason and I started playing around with some editing last night, but there were some issues that we had to fix with the files, so not too much forward momentum occurred. We’re going to work on that vid again tonight, and maybe, if we’re lucky, it might get uploaded sometime before the end of days.
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – *See the author section* Yeah, I’m not going to really get into it. The Twitter account gained two followers and the Instagram lost two, so the week was pretty much a wash.
- Expand website content – I refuse to address this section. Moving on.
Goal #4: Be Fun!
Fun? Fun? Did someone say fun?
Well, there was the aforementioned visitation involving drinking and games. We played a couple of rounds of “Unstable Unicorns” (which lasted way longer than what the box claims), as well as a round of “80’s Trivial Pursuit” and “Name that Tune: 80’s DVD Edition”. The result was a high-quality drunkenness, and a lot of embarrassment on my part as I honestly don’t know who the fuck sings what…I’m all about lyrics and that’s it.
- Read 50 books throughout the year – I read NOTHING last week! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha…..NOTHING!
Okay, that’s not entirely true: I read three more novel-length Good Omens fanfics. And while I can’t record those on my Goodreads app as part of my 50 books challenge, I still refuse to apologize. Some of these fics are fan-fucking-tastic. They’re well-written, engaging, and a couple even made me cry. So fuck you. I’m reading. It’s good. Moving on.
- Play video games – Gaming was had in short, erratic bursts last week. I played a little bit of Animal Crossing, a little bit of Smash Bros, a little bit of the Commodore 64 Mini, a little bit of Pac-Man Championship Edition 2, tried out Splatoon 2 for the first time (fun, but hard to get used to!), and I FEEL like I played Undertale, since Adrianna gave me a constant play-by-play while SHE was playing it.
In particular, the C64 Mini bit was a blast. Jason, Justin, Adrianna, and I played a full round of Winter Games, and laughed our asses off at each other as we fought to try to learn the controls of each event. The highlight of the night was Jason managing to get a score of above 1 in the figure skating event. I thought I was gonna die laughing.
- Watch shows/movies – We’ve picked through a few episodes of random things over the past week (such as “What We Do In The Shadows”), but the main show we watched the past week was “Parasyte”, a 24-episode anime that’s playing on Netflix right now. It was fantastic, for the record. We devoured the whole show in two days. So yeah, there was that!
As far as movies, I’m drawing a blank. I know we watched a few last week, but they must not have left a major impression because my brain is playing white noise as I try to remember. I know we had “The Running Man” playing while we were playing board games, and we showed Adrianna “Scott Pilgrim VS The World” (she loved it, fyi), but the rest of what I’m SURE we watched is caught in the back of my brain somewhere.
OH, I just remembered, we watched an old horror called “Dead Space”. It had a bit of an “Alien” vibe, but…awful. lol It might be worth watching for some just because it has a young Brian Cranston in it, but other than that, it was pretty lame.
Okay, I’ve jammed out a bunch of negativity in this week’s post, so I’m going to step back now, take a breath, and try to get myself into a better head-space for the current week. Wish me luck!
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments! ❤