Wow, you guys…it’s genuinely hard to believe that we’re pretty much halfway through the year. In a way it’s a good thing, because honestly…2020 has been a big ol’ bag of ass. But it’s also a bit disconcerting. Time is running away from me again. I actually had a little bit of a mini-midlife-crisis the other day. I’m not yet quite at the age when that kind of thing is normal, but I realized that I was rapidly approaching 40, and I started thinking about things like all the books I still want to write, the amount of money I still owe on my house, how many things there are that I want to do but just don’t currently have the time/funds/ability to accomplish…it’s scary shit, man. I understand why people hit midlife and just have total mental and emotional breakdowns. Stress is a wonderful thing, isn’t it?
On a more positive note though, I’m slowly starting to work through some of the (multitude of) issues I’ve been dealing with that have been making me more than a little cranky, useless, and antisocial. I’ve still got a ways to go, there’s no doubt about it, but little things started to shift over the course of the past week, and I feel like that’s a good sign.
It’s not all sunshine and roses though, so let’s take these things one at a time and see what’s up.
(Random note before I get into it: I want to extend an arm of friendship to anyone out there who is currently suffering from seasonal allergies. It is beyond exhausting, and with the current world climate sneezing even once around other people makes you public enemy number one. I feel your pain, my friends. I feel your pain. Be strong! We can survive the 2020 allergy season together! :P)
Goal #1: Be Healthier
Baby steps, my friends. Baby steps. The important thing is that I’m putting some effort in, right? *cough cough*
- Eat better (and less) – I’ll first admit that the past two days have seen me being rather bad when it comes to food, but I have a (kind of) excuse. Seasonal allergies have been hitting me like a dump truck, and as stupid as it sounds, the act of chewing and swallowing helps keep me from sneezing nonstop. Soooo…yep. (Related note: my dumb ass didn’t think, until a friend suggested it, that I could just chew gum. Yeah. Clearly the allergies are affecting my brain as well.)
I also made cranberry sugar cookies yesterday because I have a strange obsession with sabotaging myself. Just saying.
That said, in the five days BEFORE the weekend, I was actually doing pretty well. I was counting calories carefully and eating lots of fruits and veggies. It was going pretty well. I was even beginning to see something that could be qualified as ‘results’. The weekend rather fucked that up, but today is another day, right? Right.
- Drink more water – Sometimes I get distracted and realize that I haven’t had anything to drink in ages, but for the most part I’ve been drinking truly outrageous quantities of water. No issues here. I’m fully hydrated. Stick a pin in me and I might explode.
- Get more exercise – The weekend, again, was a bit of an ass; it’s hard to concentrate on doing anything at all when you’re sneezing your brains out. But throughout the week my daughter and I spent at least an hour each morning playing ‘Just Dance 2020’. And you know what? If you actually follow all the moves (instead of just the one arm that you know the game is registering the movement of), this game can be a hell of a workout! It gets me sweating, no doubt about that. Plus it’s fun, so I’m definitely going to keep going with this plan for a while, at least until I lose enough weight to feel confident trying P90X2 again.
- Lose 2 lbs per month – I can’t really report anything here, other than the fact that I’m effectively starting this goal over from scratch at the mid-year mark. Soooo…yeah, let’s just pretend that this one is just beginning and I’ll see what I have to report next week, okay? At the moment I’m sitting at 179 lbs, which is actually down from where I ended up (*gag*) the week before, though still puts me higher than when I wrote this goal.
Goal #2: Be an Author
Ups and downs on the docket this week, though I’d say the ups were a little more up than the downs were down. Does that make sense? Psh. It does if I say it does.
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – I was a bit concerned about my ability to hit last week’s goal since the previous weeks had been quite a bit lower, but in the end I easily pulled it off! Pacemaker.press wanted me to write 11,651 words, and I drove past that with 13,320 words. That also puts me at 51% of my goal for the year, and since we’re not quite at the end of June yet that means that I’m ahead of schedule. Woo! I’ve NEVER done so well in the first half of the year before! I’m really genuinely excited by the fact that I actually seem to be pulling this one off. Even if I stopped writing right now (which I have no intention of doing), it was a hell of a six months!
- Promote published books – I haaaaaaaate this so much. If I could hire someone to handle this shit for me and actually be guaranteed to get a return on my investment I would absolutely do it. I haven’t tried any more ads yet because I don’t want to piss away any more money, and I haven’t had time to research and try to work out what I did wrong the first time around. So…yeah, for the time being promotion has been limited back to social media plugs.
(Related note: if anyone out there has any idea how to run a successful Book Bub ad, please feel free to contact me. Clearly I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing.)
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – I haven’t written any exclusive content recently, but I have uploaded two early-access reads since last week. One is Chapter 5 of Revenge Omens, and the other is the follow up to ‘I Want You To Be Mine’, titled ‘You Want Me To Be Yours?‘ The later was requested by quite a few people, so I was excited to write it. Both will be posted on AO3 once the early-access window has closed.
All of my AO3 content from now on will be released as early-access to my Patrons first, for your information, but I will also, of course, be writing exclusive stuff. I’ve just been a little distracted lately, but it’s coming, I promise.
- Work on Author social media – As far as social media goes, I don’t really know what to say. I’ve been posting…perhaps not as much as I should be, but with a fair regularity, I would think. Growth, however, is rather slow. I gained two followers on the Twitter account and four on the Instagram account last week. *shrugs* At least they’re positive numbers, right?
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
I still don’t want to talk about it.
- Film/edit/upload – No, really. I really don’t want to talk about it.
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – Okay, I’ll chin up enough to say that the socials have remained pretty steady despite posting or lack thereof. Last week the Twitter account lost two subscribers and the Instagram account stayed the same.
- Expand website content – Annnnd, I don’t want to talk about it. Seriously, just go away.
Goal #4: Be Fun!
In a note unrelated to the sub-goals of this section, the family and I have been playing badminton lately. We suck, but it’s tons of fun. I mostly play with my daughter, but today I played for nearly half an hour with my husband and we were both exhausted by the end of it. The bugger kept sending me shots that I had to run to get to. Yay for extra exercise!
- Read 50 books throughout the year – I could have sworn that I read something last week worth reporting, but now that I’m trying to think about it, nothing is coming. Maybe I dreamed it. >.>
I know for sure that I read several short fanfics, but that’s no surprise at this point, I’m sure.
On a related note, I went looking for the ‘Berserk’ manga after my husband and I watched the movies, and I found out that it’s on Kindle Unlimited, so I am definitely going to take advantage of that. I’m going to try to go back and get through ‘The Walking Dead’ first though. I don’t really want to be trying to work through multiple comics at once. I don’t think my brain could handle it.
- Play video games – Aside from doing ‘Just Dance’ with the kid in the mornings, I haven’t been playing games at all lately. I just haven’t been much in the mood, to be honest. I’ve been too focused on writing, and when I’m not doing that I’m trying to stay on my feet. That said, I’d really like to find some time soon to get back into ‘Borderlands 3’ before I completely forget what I was doing. Plus I just recently picked up a horror game for the Vita (yeah, I’m still clinging to that thing, shaddup) and I’d like to check that out. It looked fun and had good reviews, and it was only, like, $10 since the Vita isn’t supported anymore. When I get around to trying it out I’ll let you guys know how it is!
- Watch shows/movies – Now, movies and shows? Oh, there’s been a lot of those. When I am sitting down I’m watching random nonsense with my husband. We’ve been enjoying ‘F is for Family’ on Netflix recently, and we’ve pretty much been watching a movie of some kind every night. Mostly we’ve been watching old favorites and things we haven’t seen in ages. Yesterday, for example, we watched ‘Jackass: The Movie’ and ‘Kung Pow’, because we’re dreadfully immature. 😛 I don’t believe we watched anything NEW in the past week, but we’ve been getting a lot of smiles out of old goodies, so that’s all that matters. Hell, as I write this we’re watching ‘Hot Shots’, with every intention of watching ‘Hot Shots: Part Deux’ later tonight. Mindless giggle time!
And that’s that for another week. I feel like it was a pretty quiet one, during which not a lot happened, and yet it was pretty decent overall. The key, I suppose, is to keep moving forward and keep up the momentum. Fingers crossed, my lovelies!
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments! ❤