Hello, lovelies! I’ve got a few things to get out of the way before the bulk of the post, and I’ve got other things I want done today as well, so let’s jump to it!
Firstly, I wanted to take a moment to say “Happy Pride Month!” before the month is actually out, and to mention how proud I am that our town is going to be celebrating its first ever pride event this evening. Our civic center (which is kinda the hub of the town) has been flying a rainbow flag all month, and apparently some douchenozzle decided to complain about it. Instead of getting upset about the complaint, a local teen decided that this was the perfect opportunity to encourage people to gather and show their own pride, and she organized the event (which I believe is going to be a kind of mini-parade/rally) herself. When I asked my daughter if she wanted to go her eyes lit-TF-up, which totally warmed my heart. She made her own shirt for it today, and all three of us are going to go together this evening as a family. I hope it makes her smile to see the other participants showing their pride. ^_^
Secondly, Nova Scotia weather really needs to figure itself the hell out. I enjoy a good thunderstorm, but we had weeks of grey followed by a week of scalding heat, and now all of a sudden we’re being drowned by rain. My system can’t handle this nonsense!
Thirdly, I want to encourage anyone reading this to stay diligent regarding things like social distancing. We here in Nova Scotia have been doing quite well – we haven’t had a recorded Covid case in nearly three weeks – but we’re totally letting up on the restrictions, and that’s WHY we’re doing well. All the experts say that a second wave will be coming, so let’s try to get ahead of it, okay? Okay. Glad we’re on the same page.
Okay, I think that’s all I’ve got for now. To the goals!
Goal #1: Be Healthier
For the most part I think I’ve been doing okay with this one lately, although there have definitely been a few ups and downs depending on things like mood and distractions…
- Eat better (and less) – I did pretty well with this one last week, at least through the bulk of the week. I’ve been watching my calorie count and doing my best to eat less processed stuff, if possible. The weekend got away on me a bit because we went for a drive, bought discount cookies, and had a sudden craving for pickle pizza, but all in all I think I can be commended for doing pretty decently with my intake.
- Drink more water – Water is definitely no problem. I’ve been guzzling the stuff. I do have a couple of cups of coffee each day, but other than that, lotttttts of water. No dehydration here.
- Get more exercise – I’m still on “Just Dance 2020” for now, but that’s perfectly fine; it’s been doing me some good, I think. It’s fun and silly, but can definitely work up a good sweat, and before I know it I’ve been doing it for over an hour. It might not burn as many calories as some of the other exercises I’ve done, nor is it a muscle-building kind of exercise, but it’s been fun and easy to convince myself to do it every morning.
- Lose 2 lbs per month – Going by what I reported last week, I’ve lost one pound. It would have been a bit more, but the weekend threw me off a bit. Whatevs…one pound down is certainly preferable to anything UP!
Goal #2: Be an Author
~I…wanna write my stuff allll ni-i-ight…and edit ev-er-y-day!~
Not seriously though. Editing SUUUUUUUuuuuccccks.
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – Last week was a weak one for what Pacemaker was asking me for, so I easily demolished it. I worked on “The Other World: Book Three”, mostly, but also dabbled in my never-ending list of ideas for “Good Omens” fanfics, and ended up writing quite a bit. Pacemaker was only looking for 8904 words, but I easily managed 13,257 words, even while getting distracted on the weekend. I’m quite pleased with myself, I must say!
- Promote published books – I’m a bit twitchy with promotion stuff lately, after the epic failure that was BookBub. Therefore I don’t really have anything to report on this one.
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – I haven’t written any exclusive content for the Patreon recently, but all my fanfics are now being released to Patrons as “early-access” content for at least a week prior to being posted publicly. On that note, last week I reported that I’d posted two fic updates there, and they continued to be in early-access during the first part of the week. I haven’t posted any new early-access stuff there recently, but I’ve been writing like a lunatic lately so there’s definitely going to be something to report for early July.
- Work on Author social media – My author social media has actually been exploding quite nicely in the past week, because people very suddenly started participating in my “Draw This In Your Style” challenge on Instagram. I got a ton of fun entries, which I’ve been sharing to my own account, of course, and those entries have been getting lots of love from the people who see them. It’s been pretty great, if I’m honest! The follower results aren’t exactly anything to write home about – I gained two on Twitter and eight on Instagram – but the important thing is that there’s been fun and engagement as a result of the challenge. It’s been awesome. I wasn’t expecting to end up with so many entries, so now I’m actually nervous about picking a winner! I wonder if I can just write a short fic (the prize) for everyone who entered…lol It’s not as though I haven’t been writing fics like a lunatic anyway. 😛
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
HOLY SHIT I ACTUALLY HAVE SOMETHING TO REPORT!
- Film/edit/upload – Well, we didn’t film anything, but after what feels like a MILLION YEARS we (*cough*mostlyJason*cough*) finally finished editing the ‘Zanini Box’ video and POSTED IT! YES! We actually PUBLISHED A YOUTUBE VIDEO after more than SIX MONTHS OF NOTHING. It definitely feels nice, I can’t deny that.
The only problem is that now that we’ve managed to put up one video…obviously we have to keep going. lol *tugs nervously at shirt collar*
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – Aside from promoting that one video that we FINALLY managed to get up, I’ve been more or less moderate on the social media since last week. I posted a few cute outdoor pics of some pretty figures that seemed to gain some attention and a few follows, so that was nice. All in all, I wound up gaining six new Instagram followers, but counter-intuitively lost five Twitter followers. Twitter has been really charged lately though, so who knows…I may have said something vaguely political without realizing it. 😛
- Expand website content – I haven’t done anything with the site yet, but I have been making a list of article ideas, and it’s getting quite long so when I actually get around to starting I’ll have lots to work with.
Goal #4: Be Fun!
And then there was fun. To be honest, my week was a little lackluster in that department because I haven’t been feeling the greatest (seems like that’s my default these days, doesn’t it?) but regardless…
- Read 50 books throughout the year – I REFUSE TO APOLOGIZE!
Oh, wait, I have to tell you what I’m refusing to apologize for, don’t I? Uh, yeah, so…*cough cough*…yeah, I spent all my reading time last week reading fanfics again. >.>
IT’S A GODDAMN SICKNESS.
- Play video games – Well obviously there’s “Just Dance”, which I’m getting decently good at by this point. As far as gaming in general though, I haven’t been indulging much lately. I did play a bit of “Borderlands 3” right at the end of the week, but that was pretty much it.
- Watch shows/movies – For the most part, we’ve actually been keeping the TV off lately, mainly because it heats up the living room like you wouldn’t believe and the weather has just been too hot on its own. That said, we watched a newer horror movie the other day called “Scare House”. It wasn’t exactly Shakespeare or anything, but it amused me. It’s a bit of a slow-burn you-don’t-know-why-the-killers-are-doing-what-they’re-doing-until-close-to-the-end deal. Absolutely ridiculous, but far from the worst horror I’ve seen in the past few years.
Other than that, we showed our daughter the two “Hot Shots” movies, which had her giggling like a fool multiple times, and hubby and I have been watching “F is for Family” on Netflix during supper. If you’re a fan of Bill Burr’s brand of humor, you’d probably enjoy it. It’s an animated show set in the 70’s and it holds nothing back. NOTHING.
And that, as they say, is that. All things considered, it was a pretty decent week, honestly. And that’s saying something considering I spent a significant chunk of it burying my head under pillows. Just sayin’. If I could actually have a week during which my brain treated me properly, just think what I could pull off! *epic eye roll*
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments! ❤