Oh my dear…dear friends… You know those days when you get drinking with friends, and for one reason or another something doesn’t quite sit right and it ends up being this total disaster that results in a hangover so epic that you beg for death and promise to never ever drink again (even though you know damn well that that’s a lie)? Yeah. That was me this weekend.
Good way to start off the post, right? But seriously, let my horror story be a cautionary tale to anyone who has ever successfully quit drinking soda, only to have multiple whiskey-and-Sprite’s (plus shots and more than a few salty-and-sugary snack-foods) in a few hour’s time. It was not a good time, let me tell you. Well, I lie…the night itself was pretty awesome. But at some point near (thankfully) the end of the night, I blacked out, and from there on it was just…very much not good. Let’s just say that I spent the following day doing and consuming as little as possible. In fact, I spent a rather large portion of the day re-watching the entirety of Good Omens whilst basically dead on the couch.
So…yeah. Just thought I’d mention it and urge anyone who doesn’t drink a lot of sugary stuff to avoid it like the plague while consuming alcohol. Not that I don’t think the alcohol itself played a part, but it’s been a hell of a long time since I’ve had a hangover that bad, so I’m mostly blaming the soda.
In other news, Nova Scotia is starting to do better concerning Covid-19 over this past week. We ended up with roughly a dozen or so cases occurring at once, mostly in the Northern region, but we’ve gone a few days now without any new ones, and the previous ones are slowly but surely clearing up. I’ve got my fingers crossed that we continue to do well, because school is starting back next week and I can’t say that I haven’t been more than a little concerned. I’m not overly concerned about my daughter in particular because she’s otherwise healthy as a horse, and is very good for following protocols (masks and distancing and whatnot). It’s the population in general that I’m concerned about, especially since our province’s back-to-school plan actually specifies that kids beneath grade 4 don’t have to wear masks at school. The reasoning is supposed to be something along the lines of “young children may feel uncomfortable with masks on all day”, and I have to be honest…that thought process pisses me off a bit. I totally understand that lots of children are fussy and that it may be difficult to get them to do something that makes them uncomfortable, but guess what? Catching Covid is going to make them a hell of a lot more fucking uncomfortable that wearing a bit of fabric over their face during school hours. Just sayin’.
Annnnnd that’s my little rant for the day. 😀
So anyway, let’s go ahead and get into the goal stuff, shall we?
Goal #1: Be Healthier
Last week was a bit of a mess in a number of ways, I’ll just say that right now. *cough cough*
- Eat better (and less) – Eating well was definitely the first of a wave of failures throughout the week. That’s not to say that I ate overly poorly, but while the little miss was off visiting family, hubby and I spent several days in a row working through a pile of leftovers that we didn’t want to end up having to throw away. The result was a lot of crap food going into my body at once. On top of that, there was the aforementioned night of drinking, during which I ate a metric ass-load of snacks. That said, those snacks didn’t, er…they didn’t stay in me all that long, so… Yeah, okay, let’s just pretend I didn’t say that.
- Drink more water – If I want to continue to make fun of myself, I drank enough water on Saturday to account for my totals for the entire week. Dehydration and all that. Yep yep.
In all seriousness though, water has definitely not been a problem, although perhaps I should have drank a few extra glasses Friday evening before I headed down to our friend’s house.
- Get more exercise – Exercise has been all over the place. I did two days of strength training, which was good, but the extent of my cardio the past week has been Pokemon Go hunts. Mind you, that has definitely accounted for a lot of walking, but it was also less proper cardio and more…casual strolling. We either need to learn to walk faster while we’re hunting, or I need to start doing cardio videos again to make up the slack.
- Lose 2 lbs per month – I’m going to be honest, I don’t really trust the scale at the moment because, for one thing, there was all that drinking, which resulted in both massive dehydration and the complete and utter emptying of my entire digestive system. Then there’s the fact that I couldn’t force myself to eat for nearly a full day after all that nonsense. Then I pigged out on Sunday because I was finally feeling better and starving at that point.
So, I mean, my system is all kinds of confused at the moment, thus I don’t really know what, precisely, the scale is reflecting at the moment. That said, for the sake of making a report, I was 172 lbs this morning, down approximately one pound from last week.
Goal #2: Be an Author
A note concerning this section of the goals: I received my results for Round 1, Challenge 1 of the NYC Midnight Flash Fiction Challenge this past week. To understand the scoring, there are a few points I must make.
Firstly, the competitors are divided into groups of roughly 30 people per group. Each individual group receives a prompt (my group had ‘action/adventure, railroad tracks, a starfish’ for our first story).
Secondly, each group is judged separately, with points being given to the top 15 stories. The best story gets 15 points, the second gets 14, and so on, down to the 15th story getting 1 point and everyone else getting 0. The process is then repeated for the second story, and whoever the top 5 point scorers are in each individual group, they get to go on to the next round.
So we’ve done the one story so far, and I finished 7th in my group, earning myself 9 points. That’s pretty decent! A little higher would have been nice, but 9 points is nothing to sneeze at and definitely keeps me in the possible running to finish in the top 5 after the next challenge.
On that note, the second challenge occurred over the weekend. My second prompt was ‘horror, a house for sale, brie cheese’, and I think I managed to put together something pretty decent. Here’s hoping I manage to score some more points come the end of judging!
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – So anyway, now that all that is out of the way, what about my actual word count for the week? Well, there were a few less-than-stellar days, but in an overall capacity I did perfectly well. My Pacemaker.press wanted me to write 11,057 words, and I just managed to squeak by with 11,569. As long as I manage the week’s goal, I’m happy, so that’s all good. I’m hoping to write a little more this week, however, because I wrote precisely nothing toward ‘The Other World: Book Three’ last week, and that’s absolutely unacceptable.
- Promote published books – I’ve been doing very small promotions here and there, mostly through social media, but I have to admit that it has accomplished absolutely bugger all. I haven’t had a single book sale now in about a month. It’s really quite depressing and infuriating. For the love of puppies, someone give me some bloody advice (that doesn’t involve spending money I don’t have on ads that don’t work).
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – My lovely Patrons were given early-access to ‘Revenge Omens: Chapter Nine’ a few days ago, so I’m covered on that front. There will also be a couple more exclusives coming to the Patreon shortly. I’m going to share the aforementioned second challenge for the Flash Fiction Challenge as an exclusive post, and I’ve also got a second part to a previous ‘Good Omens’ fanfic short that will be going up as early-access sometime soon. Yay for accomplishing things!
- Work on Author social media – Social media in general went a little sideways on me over the weekend. I’m betting that you can guess why if you’ve read the rest of this post. Long story short, I didn’t do overly well or overly bad. The Twitter account, surprisingly, gained a little boost of 7 new followers, while the Instagram lost 1. I’m not entirely sure what I did on Twitter to warrant new peeps, but I hope I’m able to repeat it this week.
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
There’s no point in making excuses: we basically did nothing concerning the YouTube channel this past week. That said, I’m sure you’ll forgive us because we were concentrating on the currently much more important task of getting stuff up for sale on our Ebay account. Finances are tight and there’s no telling when I’m going to be able to find work again, so that’s simply where our time needed to go recently.
- Film/edit/upload – As explained above, there’s just a whole lot of ‘nope’ here. But we do have some stuff that we want to film over this coming week, so cross your fingers!
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – Similarly to the Author accounts, not a whole lot went on here last week, particularly over the weekend. I did get a few good posts out before that, but my phone literally just languished beside me for nearly two days after all that “Just let me die!” nonsense. It’s not hard to understand, then, how the week was a wash. The Twitter account gained 2 followers and the Instagram lost 2. So, yeah, we’ll just call it even here.
- Expand website content – Don’t yell at me just yet! No, I did not get anything new upon the website last week and no, I technically didn’t even glance at the website. BUT! I have started working through some ideas for articles that I’ll be putting up on the site as soon as I remember how all that stuff bloody-well works. I’ve got a rather decent list of article ideas, and have started a folder for them in my docs, so there should be some stuff to read on there somewhere in the roughly-near future. *cough cough*
Goal #4: Be Fun!
Hoo-ee, I definitely had a lot of fun Friday night! Saturday morning, afternoon, evening, and night, not so much. 😛
- Read 50 books throughout the year – Reading was definitely not a top priority last week, which means that I still haven’t finished ‘Godsgrave’, which I’m actually quite disappointed in myself about. It’s an amazing book that deserves to be finished, ASAP. After that I have an ARC that I’ve been waiting to read so that I can write a review for it, and then it’s all about ‘Jaws’, which finally showed up in the mail recently and is something I’ve been intending to read for a while. Last week, though? Yeah…nothing. Gomen nasi.
- Play video games – Games, also, have just not really been on the radar recently. I did play a bit of ‘Fall Guys’ with the little one, which is fun and hysterical but also a little infuriating at times. Other than that, I mean…I guess you could say that I’ve been playing ‘Pokemon Go’, but I always have a hard time considering mobile games to be actual video games. It’s just not the bloody same.
- Watch shows/movies – Okay, now here I can say there’s been some movement for sure. Specifically, the family and I watched both the ‘Bill & Ted’ movies on Saturday while Jason and I recovered from the drinking and little miss recovered from being away from home for a week. Then, the next day, we watched the new movie, ‘Bill & Ted Face the Music’, and enjoyed it quite well. I mean, it was dumb as sin, but it was fun and on-brand with the originals, and it was amusing watching grown-up Keanu fight with multiple versions of himself. XD
Aside from devouring that series, I already mentioned that I watched the entirety of ‘Good Omens’ again (though I napped through some of it), and Jason and I have been watching a Netflix show called ‘Hoops’. Definitely not for kids. Definitely funny and worth a watch if you like offbeat humor.
So that is pretty much that! It wasn’t exactly the best week, if I’m being honest, but we got a bunch more stuff up on Ebay (and sold a couple of things!) and I managed to hit my word count goal, so I suppose I can be happy with that. But still, here’s hoping that next week is a better report overall!
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments!