G’day, my little chickadees!
*ahem* Don’t mind me, you guys, I’m just evoking my third grade teacher today for some reason.
A couple of things to mention first today. Right off the bat, I heard on the radio this morning that we are up to thirteen straight days without a new case of Covid-19 in Nova Scotia, which is definitely awesome and encouraging (especially now that school is in session). We’ve been doing really well of late, and I’ve got my fingers crossed that the trend continues. The big factor, I think, is going to be whether or not people get complacent and start forgoing the safety measures they’ve been taking up to this point. Don’t do that, people! We’re doing so well! Don’t screw it up!
Second on my list is the interesting fact that Nova Scotia is about to be side-armed by Hurricane Teddy, which will be striking the east coast sometime tomorrow, and that just happens to be the side we live on. *nervous cough* Luckily the storm has downgraded quite a bit (I believe it’s going to be a tropical storm when it hits us), but we’re still set for 100 km/hr winds and a crap-ton of rain, so wish us luck! The last time we had a major storm like this we lost power for three days, and we were the lucky ones.
In other, non-biological-pandemic, non-natural-disaster styles of news…I broke my back last week. 🙂
Okay, not really, but it wasn’t a fun time, let me tell you that. Jason and I were heading down to the basement to take a pic for a video, and on the last two stairs my foot slipped. Now, I’ve gone down the stairs on my ass more than a few times, and while it tends to sting a bit, my ass is more than ample enough to cushion a fall. This particular fall, however, saw my feet go out from under me in such a way, that when I came down I actually landed on my back, on the edge of the stair I’d slipped on. Needless to say, there was profanity involved. If I were normal I’d probably have had an enormous purple bruise right across the center of my back, but for whatever reason I rarely bruise, so instead I’ve just got this weird, tender spot that aches like hell if something pushes against it. Most of the pain, though, wound up being across the back of my neck and shoulders, and I’m still dealing with that as I type this.
I’m a walking disaster, you guys, there’s just no other way to say it.
ANYWAY, now that I’ve let you all know how painful my exceptional clumsiness can be, let’s move on.
Goal #1: Be Healthier
I’m pretty sure that I said last week that I was going to do better in the coming week. Let’s just go ahead and push that claim forward a tad, shall we?
- Eat better (and less) – Yeah, you know, I’m not even really sure exactly what happened, but my snacking has gotten back out of control lately. I wouldn’t call it a complete breakdown of the system or anything, but I haven’t been keeping track of my calories for a reason (a sad, selfish reason, but a reason none-the-less). Long story short, I ate a lot of junk last week, including a pile of cookies and far too much pizza, and I feel bad about myself for it. Moving on.
- Drink more water – Water hasn’t been a huge issue, although I definitely still feel like I haven’t been drinking enough lately. I think I’ve been letting myself get distracted by doing multiple things at once, which is a recipe for me to leave a barely-drank glass of whatever I’m drinking on a shelf somewhere and forget about it. What I need is a little alarm on my Fitbit that reminds me to drink every half hour or so. Because, you know…that wouldn’t get annoying at all…lol
- Get more exercise – Bwa ha ha ha ha ha…okay, so, I definitely intended to exercise all throughout the week, and decided to do so by getting back into the Zombies Run! app, but that only lasted for two days because of the aforementioned falling down the stairs. You can’t really blame me for this one, you guys, come on. I was in major pain for a few days there and am even quite sore still. Gimmi a pass, please and thank you.
- Lose 2 lbs per month – Now this one here, I don’t even want to talk about. Make no mistake, I’m getting extremely frustrated with myself, but between all the issues I’ve been having, on top of the fact that my motivation waxes and wanes like the bloody phases of the moon… Yeah, fuck, I dunno, I gained a pound since last week. Moving on before I get cranky.
Goal #2: Be an Author
Just a note before I move on: one of these days I’m going to learn the fine art of focusing on a single project at a time.
But today is not that day.
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – Still writing up a storm over here! (Quite possibly writing IN a storm, soon.) I’ve got so many things that I want to write these days, it’s really damn near impossible not to accomplish my Pacemaker.press goals. This past week it wanted me to write 7740 words, and I murdered that by hitting 12,402. It probably would have been more too, if hurting my back didn’t mean that I spent a couple of days not doing much more than laying prone and trying not to whine. 😛
- Promote published books – I can’t honestly say that promotion was a big concern for me last week. It should have been, since I haven’t sold any books in ages. *sigh* Moving on.
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – My lovely Patrons got Chapter 11 of ‘Revenge Omens’ last week, which is still in early-access over there if you’re interested. I’ve also been working on-and-off on another GO project that I’ll be starting to post up on there soon. ❤
- Work on Author social media – I think I did a pretty decent job concerning the social media last week. I can’t say that I was overly involved, but I definitely posted daily and interacted with a few other people’s posts while I was at it. There wasn’t much of a result for my effort, but the Twitter account gained two followers, and the Instagram gained three, so that’s something.
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
I have things to report! I actually have things to report! No, I’m not full of shit! It’s truuuuuuueeeee!!!!!
lol Okay, enough of that.
- Film/edit/upload – So, things got all mucked up and delayed for a number of reasons (not the least of which was clumsy-ass me breaking my back), but over the course of last week we managed to film four videos (all subscription boxes) and got a little more than half of the editing done as of yesterday. Jason has been working on the rest of the editing all morning, and plans to have all four videos posted sometime this evening, assuming he can find something that is missing that he wanted to use for a pic. (Wish him luck; our house is a fucking disaster.)
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – As with the author accounts, I feel like I did a pretty decent job concerning social media last week. Unfortunately the results here were the opposite of the ones on the author accounts. Despite a real modicum of effort, there were only losses on the YouTube side: one lost follower on Twitter and three on Instagram. I’m not exactly going to beat myself up over numbers that small, but it is a bit of a frustration for sure. I’m really starting to wonder what I have to do to get those numbers moving in the proper direction.
- Expand website content – I’m not even going to waste my time talking about this one. Just…move along and ignore this section until I finally decide to get my shit together.
Goal #4: Be Fun!
I mean, it’s a bit difficult to have fun when you’re popping Ibuprofin all day to deal with the non-stop ache in your neck, buuuuutttttt….
- Read 50 books throughout the year – A side note concerning books and reading; I’ve spent a good chunk of time this last week getting my entire library scanned into a book tracker app (I’m up to 828 books!) and I now have a mental list of books that I want to read in the coming weeks. Before that, though, I have to focus on getting my review up for ‘Psycho Hose Beast from Outer Space‘, which is currently up for pre-order on Amazon, so go check it out!
- Play video games – There wasn’t a lot of gaming over the course of last week, but I did poke around on ‘Tetris 99’ while I was sore and cranky, and I played a bit of ‘Overcooked’ with my daughter because we’re both masochistic fuckers who thrive on our own misery. (Seriously though, it’s a fun game, but also extraordinarily infuriating.)
- Watch shows/movies – As for watching things…uh…*thinks* I’m having a really hard time thinking of what we’ve been watching lately. To be honest, we’ve mostly been watching an episode of ‘Community’ with supper, and falling asleep to ‘Futurama’ (which we’ve already watched multiple times) at night. We keep intending to watch movies, but keep getting distracted by writing (me) and playing ‘Nioh 2’ (Jason). Soooo… Yeah, not really anything to talk about here!
So there you have it. Another one bites the dust, as they say. Wish us luck concerning the storm, send me a bit of grace if you’ve got any to spare because I’m getting really sick of hurting myself, and let me know what’s going on in your life, if you are so inclined! ❤
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments!