Hurglghfshgowiowagohgf… *vague sounds of exhaustion*
Oh, my friends, my friends. I come to you today as a broken pile of aches and pains that was once a woman…
Okay, I’m being vastly over-dramatic. lol So, remember last week when I explained that I’d just come out West for a short job? Well I was expecting the kinds of work that I did last time, which mostly involved monitoring construction crews doing hot work or confined space work. But oh no, my loves…this is something much, much different. Without going into the highly-technical details of the job, what I and my coworkers are basically doing is…digging a hole. A bigass hole. Under a giant electrical tower. In winter. Through dirt moistened and made exceptionally heavy by groundwater.
Sounds fun, doesn’t it?
So, okay, I’m making it sound worse than it really is for dramatic effect, and I’m actually not bothered by it at all, but it is definitely 100% more physically demanding than the kind of work I’m used to. After the past six days of it I am more than a little sore and tired and anxious for my days off so that I can lay perfectly still for at least one full day. Four more days (including today) and I can do that! Cheer me on, my lovelies, I think I’m gonna make it!
On a plus side, I’m gonna be toned AF by the time the job is done. lol
Normally I would have a few more things to say here before getting into the goals, but not this week, and probably not until I get back home. Right now my entire life is sleep, go to work, come back and watch horror movie, pass out, so there’s not a whole lot extra to say. 😛
Goal #1: Be Healthier
What I can definitely say is that I’ve been an all-new kind of healthy this first week at work!
- Eat better (and less) – Okay, the first few days were admittedly bad. I was getting used to being back in a work camp, readjusting to the lifestyle, and extremely sore from those first couple of shifts moving ridiculous amounts of almost-mud. But after those first few sooky days I got back into a system. I’ve been eating more vegetables in the past few days than I have in the past few weeks, and have been avoiding the sweets like the plague unless I calculate a good calorie deficit by the end of the night. I even started doing intermittent fasting again yesterday, which I didn’t think would be possible out here but actually went just fine. Hopefully my efforts, combined with all the physical exertion I’m getting at work, will achieve some results by the time I go home.
- Drink more water – I think I’m doing okay, but I could honestly almost definitely be drinking more, considering all that physical exertion I just mentioned. It’s a little difficult to get the cups in when you’re working outdoors in the mud (I obviously don’t want my bottle down in the hole with me). I’ve been guzzling as much as I can in the mornings, though, and getting quite a bit in at the end of the day as well, so I do think that I’m still doing okay. Plus I’ve been ‘spiking’ my water with pre-workout or Ener-C to help keep me going. Two birds with one stone.
- Get more exercise – Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha…did you read the first part of this post? YEAH. I’m getting exercise. No bloody doubt about that. Literally scooping, lifting, and throwing what feels like squishy lead for ten hours a day. If my arms, at least, aren’t toned AF by the time I go home I’ll be incredibly surprised (and, honestly, a little pissed).
- Lose 2 lbs per month – Now here, I have no idea. Being in a work camp, I currently have no access to a scale (unless maybe I go to the med center, which I doubt they would appreciate), so I have no idea what I weigh at the moment. I could check in town on my days off, but I’d be fully clothed so it wouldn’t be accurate. So, I suppose, for the time being I’ll just have to set this one aside, and I can weigh myself when I get home after the job. Fingers crossed for weight loss then, because I’ll be extraordinarily frustrated if I’m eating this well an doing all this exercise and getting nothing out of it.
Goal #2: Be an Author
Despite the long work days, the physical exhaustion, and everything else that comes with a job out here, I do, in fact, continue to write as often as possible. On the bus, on my breaks, first thing in the morning before work (like right now), whenever a moment arises. THUS-
- Write 500,000 words throughout the year – I still managed to murder my Pacemaker.press goal for the week. It wanted me to write 6704 words, and I blew past that with 9649 words. More than half of those were non-fiction, as I continue to post movie reviews to TraceysBasement.com, but hey, writing is writing. I do intend to step up my fiction game on my days off, however. I’ll be spending two full days in town without a whole lot to do, so my plan is to hunker down in the hotel room bed for at least one of those and just write as much as I possibly can. Wish me luck!
- Promote published books – Honestly, I don’t know why I bother… Yeah, I’ve been promoting the 99 cent sale on “Nowhere to Hide”, but it’s accomplishing positively fuck all. I’ve seen, like…two or three ebook purchases and a handful of Kindle Unlimited page reads since the month began, and it’s honestly very discouraging. I really wish I could afford proper promotional options, but even with this job I’m working right now it’s just not an expenditure that’s in the budget right now.
- Promote Patreon & exclusive content – I did get something up for my lovely Patrons! Chapter 14 of Revenge Omens is now up in early-access, and I’m hard at work on Chapter 15, hoping to get it up at the end of this week. I’m nearing endgame on this one, so I’m eager to get it written and wrapped so I can move on to one of the other half-finished fics I’ve got going on.
I’ve also been picking at a few “Draw This In Your Style” projects from Instagram, which I share on the Patreon as well, though they aren’t exclusive items. I was, however, considering possibly trying to work up some actual exclusive drawings, either of scenes from my actual books, or from some of my more popular fanfics. We’ll see what happens and whether I have the time.
- Work on Author social media – Okay, now, here? I’m frustrated. I’m not sure what’s been going on with social media in general lately, but it seems like no matter what I do (or don’t do) there is either no growth, or tiny growth that later draws back so that the net result is no growth. I posted every day this week, including some art, some self-promo, and the announcements for new Revenge Omens chapters, and my reward was one new Twitter follower and one lost Instagram follower.
Goal #3: Be a YouTuber
Obviously you know that I haven’t got a whole lot going on here personally, since I’m thousands of miles away from the Basement, but that doesn’t mean that absolutely nothing is going on.
- Film/edit/upload – Jason is currently working on editing the two videos we managed to film right before I left, one of which will include a cute giveaway courtesy of the awesome people at Cryptozoic. Jason has a lot on his plate right now, what with losing his better half for a while (^_~) so he might be moving a wee bit slower than usual, but the videos should be ready fairly soon. I will, of course, share them here when they are available.
- Promote and Interact (Social Media) – Again we have the curse of the social media, or whatever-the-hell has been going on lately. Between myself and Jason we’ve been posting more on Instagram than we have in ages (because of the 31 Days of Horror and all that entails for us each October), and yet the big result is a single new follower. Meanwhile, my Twitter account inexplicably lost four followers last week. I simply have no more comments on this topic. The numbers are infuriating to watch.
- Expand website content – Well at least I can say that I’m still getting some progress pulled off here! I’ve been continuing with the daily movie reviews, and somehow managing to get them all up on time, so that’s great. Go me, am I right? Of course I’m right.
Go check out TraceysBasement.com for the reviews! Maybe you’ll find something that sounds interesting to check out for yourself!
Goal #4: Be Fun!
You know, considering that I have only a couple of hours each day right now with which to do anything for myself…I’ve actually been pulling it off fairly well.
- Read 50 books throughout the year – I finished Stephen King’s “Full Dark No Stars” last week, a book that is both rather large and rather excellent. It contains four short stories (although 1922 is long enough to have been published separately as its own book) that are very uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. I’ll leave it at that and say that if you enjoy King, you’ll probably enjoy this book.
I’ve moved on to the “Hocus Pocus Sequel”, which I think is probably the perfect October read, don’t you? I’m only about a tenth of the way in at the moment, but I expect to devour it pretty quickly.
- Play video games – This one has been a big nope, because there simply isn’t time if I want to squeeze in all the other important stuff while working ten-hour days. That said, I’ve been opening Pokemon Go randomly throughout the day, just to catch a few things and make sure I get a Pokestop spin in. There happens to be a gym in the camp across the parking lot from us, but I have a hard time keeping it for more than a few hours because there are actually several other people out here also playing. Unfortunately it seems as though there are equal numbers of red, blue, and yellow teammates playing, so we all just keep snagging the gym from each other for a couple of hours at a time and no one is getting any real amount of coins.
Okay, nerd, yeah, enough of that now.
- Watch shows/movies – Finally we have the watchables, and I will once again repeat: nightly movies and reviews on TraceysBasement.com. To see what I’ve watched this past week, simply go there, but the short version is “a horror movie each night”. It sucks not to be able to watch them with Jason and Adrianna, but at least I can participate with the family tradition from afar.
So that’s that for another week. By the time next week rolls around I’ll have had three days off to rest and recuperate, so hopefully I’ll have some decent stuff to talk about at that point. In the meantime, I hope this post was mostly lucid, as I typed quite a lot of it with my eyes closed (no, I’m not kidding). Cheers!
How was your week? Any accomplishments you want to share? Goals you worked hard on? Feel free to share in the comments!