Darn it! I was trying to get back into actually posting these weekly reviews ON TIME, but by the time I found a moment to do it last night I was hungry and exhausted, and just ended up passing out in bed. 😛
If you’re not Canadian you might not have realized that this past weekend was Canada Day, the result of which was a long few days of activities with family. Jason, Adrianna, and I traveled “down home” to hang out with Jason’s family, leaving early Saturday and returning home mid-Monday. There was shopping, running around with the kid and her cousin to do Canada Day activities, fireworks, a bonfire, some swimming, a wee bit of alcohol (ha ha), a lot of junky food, and two nights of sleeping on an air mattress. PLUS Adrianna’s Nana and Papa got her a trampoline for grading day, which Jason and I had to construct Friday night, and have been joining her on for
the lulz safety reasons. So, to not put too fine a point on it: I’m pretty darn exhausted.
This also means, as I’m sure you’ve probably put together, that my report this week might be a little disjointed and unimpressive, along with being late. I honestly am not really sure. I’ve barely even thought about it yet and am just intending to jump into this post and figure it all out as I go along, so I guess we’ll see what happens together.
Plan #1: Focus more on Writing.
You can probably imagine that, given the several days in a row of summer/grading day/Canada day events, I didn’t get a whole lot of time to focus during week 26. Well, I did get a good bit of focus happening in the first half of the week, so luckily it’s not all doom and gloom.
- Goal #1: Write half a million words throughout the year. The week started off fairly well, with a few days in a row of my actually meeting the daily word counts set for me by Pacemaker.press! Of course, I’ve already explained that the second half of the week went all to hell on me as far as writing goes, but in the end it didn’t turn out too badly at all. I wrote 1393 blog words and 2600 fiction words, for a week’s total of 3993. That brings the year’s total so far up to 107,507 words, and keeps my daily average the same as last week at 591 words per day. In the end I’m quite pleased with this simply because my average didn’t go down further. I’m so behind at this point that my average has been sinking a little bit lower every week for the past nine weeks, so to see it stay steady is actually just as good as seeing it go up, honestly!
- Goal #2: Sell more books. The end of week 26 also marked the end of June, during which I sold a grand total of 3 paperback books, 1 e-book, and had 178 pages read through Kindle Unlimited. That is pitiful, you guys, it really is. And what’s even more pitiful is that previous months have been worse. I’ve been working as hard as I can with the time that I have to build up my platform through my author accounts on Twitter and Instagram, but it’s a bit of an uphill battle, especially on Instagram. I’m finding that I’ll gain x number of subscribers one day, and lose x+1 the next. And though I’ve been promoting my books as often as I feel I can without being annoying, it doesn’t seem to actually be accomplishing anything. This is an extremely sour point for me, it really is, and I could easily rant about it all day, but you don’t need to hear all that, so I’ll let it go now.
- Goal #3: Complete and publish The Other World: Book Two. Work is still progressing! In fact, all of the fiction words that I reported above were toward rewrites of certain scenes that had issues in them. There’s still a fair bit to do, but it is moving along quite nicely, and I’m coming up to a few chapters in a row that should be pretty quick and easy. I’m really hoping to get the manuscript to my beta-readers sometime during the summer, and I definitely think that this goal is totally doable.
Plan #2: Focus more on YouTube.
My brain has been in and out on YouTube lately (especially during those events mentioned above when we’re not even at home and thus cannot film), but Jason and I have been trying hard to think of new ideas for the channel, which is something we feel we need in order to continue to grow. On that note, any and all ideas are appreciated and will be considered, so feel free to drop a comment if you have any thoughts!
- Goal #1: Film more often. We filmed two videos in week 26, both of which included Adrianna as our adorable little co-star. We likely would have done more, but there was just so much going on, plus I had a ton of cleaning to do for when my parents were visiting, that there just wasn’t enough time. But the two vids that we did do were cute and fun, so I’m totally happy with that outcome!
- Goal #2: Put more focus into, and have more fun with, the social media aspect. This goal has been a pretty steady one for many weeks in a row now, but I have to admit that I’ve tapered off a little. Mostly I think the problem is that my brain has been focused more on my shiny new author accounts and getting those off the ground. I’ve been using the channel accounts too, but just not at as steady and continuous pace as I have been in previous weeks. I’m going to do my best to rectify this in the coming weeks because the channel accounts have actually been growing recently and I don’t want to lose that forward momentum.
#3: Focus more on myself.
Did I even have any time to focus on myself during week 26? Okay, I might be exaggerating just a tad, but you know what I mean.
- Goal #1: Take time daily to read/watch/play. Someone desperately needs to take my phone away from me! On the one hand, yeah, I took time daily to “play”, but that play was almost entirely crappy phone games again. I did play a little bit of “A Link to the Past” before the cartridge started crapping out on me, and I did play a little bit of Just Dance with Adrianna, but other than that all my spare time was spent curled up on the couch or in bed with Sailor Drops, Plants vs Zombies 2, or Fallout Shelter. Someone give me a smack in the head!
- Goal #2: Stay active, but don’t obsess. Major confession time! I didn’t do a single Zombie Run all through week 26. Partly this was due to ridiculous weather (windy rain storms, sudden switch-flips to ultra-hot weather) and the aforementioned weekend-full-of-events, but I still feel pretty annoyed with myself. Unfortunately we’re also experiencing an uncharacteristic heat wave this week, so unless I can convince myself to get up before sunrise so that I don’t take heat stroke, I don’t know how many runs I’m going to get done in the next week either.
So overall I’d say it wasn’t a bad week. It definitely could have been more productive, but given that we’re finally getting some summer weather, the kid is finished of school, and all the summer activities and festivals are currently going on, I’ll give myself a bit of leeway.
How was your week? Were you able to accomplish anything? Do anything fun? Make any progress toward your own goals? Feel free to share!