I had…a terrible week. That’s not a set up for excuses and a lot of whining, it’s just an admission of miserable fact. I’m not sure exactly what was going on with my body this past week, but I have to preface this entire post by explaining that I spent nearly three full days – that’s 43% of the week, folks – with a raging, unstoppable migraine. I’ve experienced what I expect were migraines maybe three times in my life, and yet, last week? Three. Full. Days. Two of them consecutive. I seriously was beginning to think I’d just bash my head against a wall until I passed out, because the concussion would have been preferable to the continuous agonizing pulsations.
Whatever the reason for the sudden, relentless throbbing of my skull, I did eventually make my way to the pharmacy and discovered a wonderful product known as “acetaminophen with codeine”, and finally I was able to rid myself of the horror, but only after it had destroyed nearly half the week on me.
On TOP of that, I had the joy to begin experiencing some kind of ridiculously painful pinch in my right thumb that would pulse randomly around my wrist and up my forearm. I hate to self-diagnose, but as it was too late in the week to see a doctor by the time this cropped up, I took to the internet, and I’m fairly confident that the problem is the rubbing of a pair of tendons that run from the thumb up the side of the forearm. The site suggested that treatment would start with wrapping the wrist and avoiding repetitive motions, so I picked myself up a tension glove and did my best to use my left hand for as much as possible for a few days, but that made typing a slow, royal pain in the ass that made it very difficult to get anything done. My hand/arm is feeling much better now, and the glove I bought can be used as a brace to help avoid future overuse of the tendons and muscles in question, but for this past week in particular, I definitely lost some time and efficiency as a result of the injury.
So, with all that fun stuff in mind, let’s take a look at the few pain-free hours I did have throughout last week and see if I managed to squeeze anything decent out of them.
Plan #1: Focus more on Writing.
Dammit, the worst comes first. It should come as no surprise that writing in general took a bit of a back-seat to trying to convince myself away from that head-bashing idea, although all things considered it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.
- Goal #1: Write half a million words throughout the year. This is the one that hurts the most, because as I’ve been explaining each week, though I haven’t been hitting that 1370 words-per-day goal by a long shot, I have been slowly increasing my daily average each week, meaning that there was always forward momentum. This week I finally killed that momentum. I did write on the four days that I wasn’t writhing on the couch in agony, but it was all just blog posts, and some of them very quick, simple ones (video announcements, for instance). I probably could have written more here and there, but because of the thumb/wrist thing, I was slowed down to a miserable crawl and more or less gave up out of frustration. As a result of everything, I only wrote 3032 words for the entire week. That brings me up to a total of 34 801 words for the year so far, at an average of 725 words per day. So, as you see, my average has gone down since last week, sadly. That is extremely frustrating to me, after having watched it slowly move upward for six weeks in a row, so I’m dedicating myself to rectifying the situation in the coming week. Wish me luck!
- Goal #2: Sell more books. Not much to report on this front. I haven’t been speaking to my shop-owner friend recently, and there’s been zero activity as far as online sales, so I simply have nothing to say. I’m still considering sending one of my self-published manuscripts off to that vanity publisher I spoke about last week, just to see what they say, but I haven’t found a free moment to go through my files and actually get it done yet. Of course, I’m still looking for other methods of self-advertising, as always, but I haven’t come across anything interesting-looking recently.
- Goal #3: Complete and publish The Other World: Book Two. Nothing to report here either. As mentioned above, I only managed to do blog posts last week, and when I had a few moments to finally work on the manuscript, it was the first day of the epic migraines that threatened to murder me. Then there was the issues with my hand as well, so in the end I wound up doing nothing at all. I’m very annoyed with myself for this, because the more time I go without looking at the manuscript, the harder it is to keep everything as a cognitive whole in my head, but given the circumstances of the week I’m trying not to be too hard on myself.
Plan #2: Focus more on YouTube.
I’ll be upfront and admit that we’ve been slacking a little on the YouTube front recently, although I’ll also proudly say that we’ve been getting some related stuff done, which has been making me very happy. In week 7 we put a hard push into working on the basement, and as a result it’s actually starting to look like something I’d be proud to show off. Jason got more art, comics, and signatures up on the wall, in addition to hanging up a second pin board to hang our geeky keychains on. I shifted a bunch of stuff around so that we could hide most of the to-be-opened pile, as well as the to-be-sent-to-other-people and to-trade/sell piles, so now the main basement area is almost entirely clear of clutter, with more walking space than we’ve had since we first started filming down there. Add to that that we’ve done some more work on the shelves, and I’ve rearranged a few things so that some of my favorite stuff is more visible, plus a bit of cleaning, throwing out of garbage, and disposing of more boxes, and I’m just genuinely really happy with the way the basement is looking. There’s still more to be done, for sure, but I wouldn’t be embarrassed to have people down there now, and that’s honestly really saying something.
- Goal #1: Film more often. I can’t honestly say that filming videos has been on the forefront of my mind in February thus far, especially when compared to how excellently we did in January, but I did manage to film one video, which was a kind of Valentine’s day toy haul with Jason. We had intended to do more, but, again…migraines. And on top of that, when my migraines did finally abate, Jason had sinus issues that snagged us up. So in the end it was just the one video for week 7.
- Goal #2: Put more focus into, and have more fun with, the social media aspect. Despite everything else I’ve already admitted to failing at in week 7, I can honestly say that migraines and wrist pain didn’t keep me away from the social media this week. Mainly, the reason was because Toy Fair was on in New York this past weekend, and that’s kind of a big deal for toy people. Most of my activity was on Twitter, but I went a little nuts sharing the sneak peaks, upcoming hints, and prototype reveals for all the new toys and collectibles from our favorite companies. There’s some amazing stuff coming out in the near future, especially for horror fans, so if you don’t follow me on Twitter already, you really should take a swing over to my account and check out some of the stuff I’ve been sharing. My wallet is crying with anticipation, let me tell you!
#3: Focus more on myself.
Honestly, I feel a little bad even thinking about this one right now, since I spent nearly three full days just curled up on the couch, begging Jason and Adrianna to keep the noise down, and hiding under a blanket with my phone on the lowest brightness setting. But, much as it may make me feel a little selfish, those days were not “me time”, which I still deserved one way or another.
- Goal #1: Take time daily to read/watch/play. That said, I didn’t really get that “me time”. I did get a bit here and there… On the worst day of the migraines I curled up in bed and watched Supernatural for a few hours. And I’ll definitely admit to a bit of Pokemon TCG Online. That said, I didn’t get much in as far as media consumption. We did watch the new Hellraiser movie – which I’ll be reviewing shortly – but I haven’t even touched any of my TBR comics yet, I still haven’t finished A Clockwork Orange from last month’s TBR, and I haven’t touched a real video game since early in week 6. I’m definitely going to have to try to find (or make) some time to get to some of this stuff in week 8, because I’ve been genuinely dying to read those comics and I’m going to be very miffed if it doesn’t happen until March.
- Goal #2: Stay active, but don’t obsess. I’m still gaining weight. Trying really, really hard not to look at the scale, but it’s an unhealthy addiction. I’m currently only a few pounds away from where I was when I was nine months pregnant, and although I’m carrying that weight in a much different (and more even) way right now, that’s still an incredibly annoying thought. If I could even lose 5 lbs it would bring me back down to a mildly reasonable number that doesn’t make me want to gag, so someone lay some voodoo on me, would ya? In all seriousness though, I haven’t been particularly active, apart from a few short Just Dance sessions with the kid and a bit of cleaning, but I am having moderate success with a related endeavor: drinking a proper amount of water. I’ve never been good at that, but recently I discovered that I wasn’t even aiming for the proper number in the first place…I was about 12 oz too low. Upon discovering this, I downloaded an app called ‘Drink Water Aquarium” to help me remember to drink, and so far it’s been working really well. I only started a few days ago, but I’ve managed to hit my goal two days in a row and didn’t drink a sip of pop in those two days, so that’s actually major progress for me. Here’s hoping it keeps up!
So that was that! Week 7 was a bit of a write-off because of the physical frustrations, but I still managed to get a bit accomplished here and there, and am on my way toward making some genuinely healthy lifestyle changes so, you know what? I’ll take it. Let’s just wipe our hands of week 7 and move forward with our heads held high, yes? Yes. Sounds like a plan!
How was your week? Were you able to accomplish anything? Do anything fun? Make any progress toward your own goals? Feel free to share!