“Dear Tracey: Where the hell have you been? Sincerely, Everyone.”
So the good news is that I’m alive. I’m going to go ahead and assume that you managed to figure that much on your own. The bad news is that I’m pretty sure both my mind and body have been completely fried in these past few weeks.
Let’s go back a tad. You remember how I’m always saying that this time of year is really busy for me at the best of times? Well it hasn’t been the best of times. That’s not to say that I’m in a bad place mentally or anything; it’s just been extra busy this year for a variety of reasons. First, as I mentioned in a previous post, our older kitty passed on, which resulted in a few days of just not giving a damn about doing anything. Then I started a part-time job to make some extra cash for Christmas, and that job, while relatively simple, involves a lot of physical labor and has me working odd evening shifts that leave me pretty exhausted. There was also my daughter’s birthday, which tends to wear me the hell out even when I’m trying my best not to stress. And on top of that there’s been a lot of visitors lately, what with my parents coming home from their Alberta job, the inlaws coming up for the niece’s hockey games, and all that good stuff. PLUS we’ve been trying to clean and decorate and get the house ready for Christmas, which has been stymied by the fact that we’ve got large items for sale laying all over the house because the interested buyers keep just not showing up, omfg I hate Kijiji.
The long and short of it all is that today is honestly the first day I’ve had in the past three weeks or so when I’ve actually felt like I could sit down, take a breath, and do some things I want to do, rather than things I need to do. It’s bloody glorious, honestly. I’m typing this on my laptop while sitting on the couch with a fuzzy blanket and a coffee, and it’s glorious.
That said, this is going to be a very vague kind of report, because I haven’t caught up on my personal “bookkeeping”, so I’m not even sure what I’m going to report exactly, and also because these past few weeks have been so busy that I haven’t really got much done worth reporting. But hell, we’ll give it a try!
This will also be my last of these posts for the year until the final one looking back at all of 2018. I’d like to write the last few weeks in, but right at the moment I see it as a needless waste as I’m going to have little – if anything – to report.
Plan #1: Focus more on Writing.
Hoo-boy…okay, let’s start off with the absolute worst one! The truth is that the last time you heard from me is practically the last time that I wrote anything. I may have scribbled a few things here and there, but this is the “bookkeeping” I haven’t caught up on, so I can’t tell you exactly what.
- Goal #1: Write half a million words throughout the year. I don’t have an exact number, but I think I can safely say that the grand total for the past three weeks is somewhere in the “couple of hundred”‘s range. Seriously, there has been no writing going on. There just hasn’t been any time at all lately. I keep telling myself that I’m going to write during my lunch breaks at work, but it never happens because the time just seems to up and vanish from me by the time I’m finished eating and checking my phone messages. When last we checked I hadn’t even hit half of this goal yet, so it’s pretty damn safe to say that it’s a bust for the year, but hey…I did write a good few books worth of words, and I learned some things for the coming year. So there’s that!
- Goal #2: Sell more books. Book sales have been dead lately, which is annoying given that it’s Christmas and people should be buying gifts for their bookish friends. But that said, I haven’t exactly been putting a lot of effort into publicizing myself lately. So yeah, it’s likely my fault. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a few moments to breathe in the coming weeks and maybe grab a few sales from people. Fingers crossed!
- Goal #3: Complete and publish The Other World: Book Two. Here’s another goal that won’t be completed in 2018, but I’m not terribly disappointed with myself. Given how deep into the year it took before I was able to really get some work going on this one, I’m happy with what I did manage. I’ve got notes back from one of my beta-readers – just waiting on the other three – and I plan to put my nose to the grindstone in the new year and get this done and published ASAP.
Plan #2: Focus more on YouTube.
Given the state of the part-time job I mentioned earlier in the post, you can probably take a wild stab at where this one is going.
- Goal #1: Film more often. It has been really difficult to find time to film these past weeks. The evenings after Adrianna has going to bed are one of our best filming times, but I’ve been at work during those hours more often than not recently. School hours can be good too, but between some shifts Jason picked up, the need to run around for errands during business hours, and the fact that we’ve had family coming back and forth a lot lately, it’s been practically impossible to string enough moments together to actually be able to film a whole video. We only actually published, like…2 vids since my last update post, and that’s flabbergasting, but also not surprising given all the circumstances. Keep your fingers crossed for us to find a breath or two sometime this week while I have a couple of nights off!
- Goal #2: Put more focus into, and have more fun with, the social media aspect. Social media definitely went out the door for a little while as well, although I think I’ve managed to work myself back into it. Everything went dead silent for about two weeks, except for a small few Instagram posts made by Jason. In the past week, though, I’ve managed to start squeezing posts in, in between work breaks and waiting for supper to cook and things like that. The author accounts have still been pretty dead, but I’m working back toward it.
#3: Focus more on myself.
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha….
- Goal #1: Take time daily to read/watch/play. The closest I’ve gotten to any of these things lately is playing a round or two of Sailor Drops on my phone during my 15-minute breaks at work. Jason and I also managed to watch the most recent season of Mystery Science Theater 3000, but only because we watched it in parts while eating supper or laying in bed at night waiting to pass out. Last night was the first time I’d touched a book in ages, and it was one of Adrianna’s; we started reading “Young Scrooge” together.
- Goal #2: Stay active, but don’t obsess. Go right to hell on this one.
Seriously though, my job has been so physically demanding (lots of walking back and forth, lifting and carrying things) that I’m calling it a win and refusing to do any more. End of story.
And there you have it. Three weeks of “I didn’t have time to do anything”, basically. And somehow I stretched it out into a pretty lengthy post. Go me. There’s my accomplishment for the week. 😛
How was your week? Were you able to accomplish anything? Do anything fun? Make any progress toward your own goals? Feel free to share!