Okay! *claps hands together* I’m awake, I’m moderately alert, and I’m not currently in a terrible mood, so I think it’s a good time to throw one of these posts together!
I have nothing particularly specific to the week to say this time around before actually getting into the post. Aside from a couple of days of wicked nightmares last week it actually wasn’t a terrible week and nothing really stood out as something that I want to mention. So let’s just get right into it, I guess!
Plan #1: Focus more on Writing.
You guys aren’t going to believe this, but I actually have good news on this front for week 34!
- Goal #1: Write half a million words throughout the year. IT WAS MY BEST WEEK OF THE YEAR SO FAR! That’s not to say that it was an absolutely stand-out fabulous week, the likes of which the world has never seen, but it was a good week for writing. Most of my words went toward posts for TraceysBasement.com, but they were (at least, I felt) good words that came together to create good posts. Together with a few blogging words for this site I wound up with 6449 words toward blog posts. I also wrote 352 words toward a fanfic I’ve been scribbling in my spare time for relaxation purposes. That’s a week’s total of 6801 words which, as I’ve already mentioned, is my best weekly total for the year so far! In fact, it’s one of only four weeks during which I hit the 6k mark. Go me! Week 34’s numbers bring me up to a year’s total so far of 142,062, and brings my daily average up a bit more to 597 words per day. Gotta love seeing that number move upward!
- Goal #2: Sell more books. On the more sulky side of things, do you guys know what is extremely depressing? I sold exactly one – yes, ONE – e-book last week….and I was actually excited when I saw that sale show up. That’s how bad sales have been over the past few months. One purchase shows up and it feels like a heavenly choir is singing Hallelujah around me. That’s super-pathetic, right?
On an absolutely related note, someone give me some new (free) ideas for promoting my books! Pllllllease! I’ll give you a cookie!
- Goal #3: Complete and publish The Other World: Book Two. I have to own up that I didn’t get much work done toward this goal in week 34, mostly because those TraceysBasement.com posts I mentioned earlier actually took a good long while to write. I did work out some more on that annoying scene I mentioned last week, however, so that’s definitely something.
Plan #2: Focus more on YouTube.
You guys, it is so hard to get back into YouTube after taking so much time off. We didn’t intend to take that time off (*shakes fist to the heat wave*) but once we were finally set to start up again it’s been really difficult to get back into the swing of things. That said…
- Goal #1: Film more often. We did manage to film two videos last week, and they were fun ones. Entertainment Earth sent us a full case of “The 13” series Dunny blind boxes to show off, and Jason came up with a really fun opening for the vid that put us in a wicked-fun mood for the rest of the filming. The figures themselves were also bloody amazing and tons of fun, so that really helped as well. Additionally we did a little haul of stuff we picked up at a local comic shop (local, in this respect, meaning a three-hour drive away…ugh), which is the kind of vid we haven’t done in ages so it was fun.
We’d hoped to get more done, but a few days of travel along with the aforementioned “hard time getting back into it” meant it never happened, but we do have plans for week 35, so stay tuned. 🙂
- Goal #2: Put more focus into, and have more fun with, the social media aspect. I think I’ve mostly gotten back into my stride with the social media. I’ve been tweeting more often and Instagramming more often for sure. Facebook is still an anomaly on my personal radar, and I’ve definitely been much less active on the author accounts. but I’ve been working on it. The bigger thing right now is staying active on the YouTube accounts to keep interest alive since we didn’t post many videos over the course of the summer.
#3: Focus more on myself.
I’ll be honest: though I said at the beginning of this post that there was nothing remarkable about week 34 that I felt the need to mention, it was a stressful week in many ways and focusing on myself has absolutely been pushed to the back burner lately. In fact, it’s so far back that it’s toppled completely off the stove top.
- Goal #1: Take time daily to read/watch/play. I’ve been wanting to read Neil Gaiman’s Stardust since I made a post about it on the author accounts a couple of weeks ago, but I haven’t even gotten a page in yet. I know I’m being foolish, but lately every time I try to sit down and read I just find myself thinking of all the other things I could and SHOULD be doing, so I can’t get into it. Similarly with playing games…I’ve spent a few minutes at a time playing phone games with missy as a compromise for being too busy to play much with her, but sitting down to play a real video game? I can’t bring myself to “waste” the time. I did manage to get a movie in last night (Hereditary….review to come!) but only because there are certain hours of the night that are set aside for me and Jason to do things together, and that’s what we decided to spend them on last night. I don’t mean to make that sound bad – I obviously love spending time with my husband! – I just mean to impress that it wasn’t “ME time”. At this point I honestly can’t remember the last time I took some genuine “ME time”.
- Goal #2: Stay active, but don’t obsess. Did I go for a run last week? I honestly can’t remember. I want to say yes, but the old age is kicking in on me.
I can tell you that I’ve done a little bit of strength training recently, courtesy of a newly-purchased knock-off thigh master (no, seriously) as well as a strange device called “Wonder Arms” that I picked up at the Dollarama of all places. Neither piece of equipment is a quality device or anything, but for the prices I paid for them they’re worth the bit of muscle toning I’ve been doing (almost) every day. Yay for doing something!
So looking back I see that it was an excellent week for writing, a not-at-all-terrible week for YouTube stuff, and a crappy-but-not-the-absolute-worst week for ME stuff. I can live with that. For now. At some point I’m definitely going to have to figure out how to work focusing on myself back into the equation, but for the time being I’m just happy to be able to report a few results here and there.
How was your week? Were you able to accomplish anything? Do anything fun? Make any progress toward your own goals? Feel free to share!